I've been checking the trans oil in a Case 850G with the engine not running and the trans cold before use every day. Is this correct or should the engine be running? I have a maintenance manual but not an operators manual and maintenance manual doesn't say anything about checking the oil. We have always checked it first thing in the morning with engine off and its always fine. Today I checked it with the engine running and it was just barely on the stick so the got me wondering. This tractor has always run great but under a really hard load like a big tree or digging stumps that won't budge the tracks stall out sometimes and this has always concered me. I figure they would spin and dig a hole. We've put about 700 hrs on the dozer clearing land with no real breakdowns and very little trouble.
I finally found an operators manual on Ebay for this dozer. Manual says check trans fluid with engine cold and off. One other thing though, I have always been told to steer with the levers and only use steering brakes if needed. We very rarely use the brakes because of being told this. The manual doesn't say anything about not using the brakes. Is this just something people have learned from experience? I don't want to start using the brakes only to find out they wear really fast.
I have a 455c loader that I have had from new. there is no modulation on my model, (the later ones introduced this feature and should be on the 850G), so you have to decelerate when changing any of the trans levers to avoid impact on the drive train. In practice I would use brake steering over trans steering around 75% brake to 25% trans, but being a loader there is a need to change direction more than a dozer. Often the trans steering seems to put a lot more load on the machine and there can be a greater reluctance to turn, so I have always gone with whatever feels easiest on the drive train. Trans steering will allow you to push around corners but you lose some pushing power when the outside track is shifted to a higher gear. Most corrective steering while pushing is done by just putting the inside track in neutral but this can cause the outside track to spin if you are pushing hard. My rule is, do whatever feels easiest on the machine.
Its made to steer either way. Its a clutch brake machine that's the way they work. I never liked steering with the transmission felt like it was harder on it by changing speeds under a load. Those are great dozers , stalling the tracks , your are most likely stalling the converter. There is a stall test for this.
Thanks for the comments. I'll look in the service manual for the stall test. I really like this machine and have had good luck out of it. I need it for about 200 more hours then will probably sell it. Well maybe I'll keep it, who knows when you might need a dozer!!