Hey guys. I just purchased a Case 850 trackloader. Im new to the loader so please bare with me. The issue I'm having... i believe anyway...i only have low on both sides. As I'm going forward if I go to neutral on left track nothing changes. If I go to neutral on right track the track locks and loader turns to the right which I believe is correct. Im going to drive it again tomorrow and verify no change in speed when shift to hi. Thanks in advance for any input!
Did you know it was doing this before you bought it? Auction purchase?
Yes I did know ahead of time. Bought from individual with intentions of fixing it.
Welcome to HEF @brenthill May have been a good idea to ask this question before you bought it Hope you didn't pay alot for it Hope you're handy with tools
Update: played around with it quite a bit today. With trans in forward and hi low in neutral the left side still is pulling. It does have hi on both sides so it seems to me the low clutch is engaged all the time ( maybe burnt and clutch plates welded together) I assume when you put it in hi, low should disengage but since it doesn't it creates a binding on that side and you slow down and lose power. I think I'll swap left and right low hoses at the control and see if problem changes sides...any ideas out there? Pressure gauge on dash is consistent at 260 ish psi Yahoo Mail: Search, Organize, Conquer Show trimmed content
From what you are describing RH LOW is locked up - possibly a broken plate that has a small piece going in between the plates. If that is the scenario, RH track should drive while it is in neutral. Sometimes you need to raise the tracks off the ground to see what is happening. Great if the machine has rippers. Sometimes when you shut the machine down, the clutch pack may free up because the small piece of friction disc causing the issue, moves into a spot that allows the clutch pack to operate as it should. The transmission suction screen should be telling you there is something wrong with lots of metal/friction disc material. An old machine like that, likely has seal/hook ring issues on the shaft end caps. It has continued to be used while sending pressure to both HI & LOW clutch packs, causing one to drag & act as a brake. This would normally overheat the transmission as well.
Thank you for the input! Can I access the clutches by pulling front cover while trans is still in the loader?
I have heard of it being done, never actually seen it though - personally, I would never attempt doing it that way. I always remove the transmission to do such a repair.
I just got the front cover removed from the transmission and am trying to figure out how to get the left hand hi/lo clutches out- the book isn't any help. Trying to download a pic but it won't for some reason..I believe I have to remove the gear from the pinion shaft to remove the hi/lo clutches. Sound right?
So, I figured out i had to remove the tapered bearing from both pinion and removed the gears. Then removed the forward/reverse clutch ( bottom center of trans). Then removed rear left lo/hi shaft cap and removed snap ring which allowes entire shaft and clutch assembly to be removed. I plan on making a video to show details.
Airman you hit the nail on the head!
Were the oil control rings broken? Are the grooves in the shaft worn? Can't really see in the picture, but they don't look all that bad....
The control rings are not broken but I'm going to replace them anyway. The grooves look good as well..