Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 850b converter temp

Beer man ยท 2013-07-10 17:06

After working the machine in the mud (in low range) the converter begins to heat up and I lose power. Is there something I should be looking at in particular. I really would appreciate some help.

Replies7
  1. #1Beer man2013-07-10 17:16

    The temperature goes down when you stop working machine. Is there a fluid I should be concerned with or something that may need to be cleaned?

  2. #2alrman2013-07-10 17:21

    That type of work is the hardest on the machine. How long is it taking to get hot? The mechanical high/low range is also in low? Tracks aren't getting too tight, being packed with mud? Is the engine temp being affected at all?

  3. #3Beer man2013-07-10 17:29

    My son in law was running the equipment. I'll get to him and answer your questions. I know he was working in a lot of mud. If this makes sense to you he said that when he pulled onto dry ground the temp would come down.

  4. #4Beer man2013-07-10 17:37

    It appears he wasn't losing power but the converter temp would leave the green into the yellow. The tracks are loaded with mud. All the other temps appear fine. I just don't want to harm the machine. We are using it to dig a foundation in a top layer of about six or more inches of muddy topsoil down to clay.it took at least two hours before it began to heat up.

  5. #5alrman2013-07-10 17:59

    A little bit of extra temp, working in heavy conditions is to be expected. It's taking a reasonable amount of time to reach it also. As long as it doesn't continue to climb & it is not losing drive & the temp drops when the load is removed, sounds pretty normal. Just check & be sure about those things I listed above. TIP - If you decide to hose out the radiator do it in the afternoon & let it dry overnight. Don't go back to work with the cores wet, as the dust will stick to them & actually begin to clog them straight away.

  6. #6Beer man2013-07-10 18:29

    Thank you. I appreciate your time.

  7. #7Dickjr.2013-07-10 19:46

    Wash your radiator and cooler out real well with a power washer. I bet the cooler is plugged. Also check for a loose fan belts. If they slip it will heat up. Belly pans full of mud can cause heating problems as well. May be rremove the pans wash radiator wash around trans and go back at it.