Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

case 850b leaking from torque converter check plate

Reece38 ยท 2014-01-27 15:56

i have noticed my machine has had a leak in it through the year, i pulled the skid plates off a few weeks ago and the skid plate under the torque converter had a bunch of oil sitting in it, i decided to change all fluids since that was kinda the main reason for pulling the skid plates off, got it all done today and started the dozer and i have alot of fluid coming out of the check plate that comes off where you can see the flywheel. looks like it is leaking from the transmission side of the flywheel. any help would be amazing!

Replies4
  1. #1mile2252014-01-27 20:45

    I had the same problem with my 850. Turned out to be a bad seal. It started as a fairly slow leak and then progressed to a large leak using about 5 gal of fluid in about 4 hours. That's when I decided I needed to tear into it. Seal #7 was the seal that was the real problem but all the other seals were not in the best shape. I replaced all the seals in the torque conv assembly while I was in there. Not too bad of a job, the worst part is getting the torque conv out of the machine.

  2. #2Reece382014-01-27 21:17

    i was hoping i wouldnt have to pull the converter out. how many hours you think it took you to do the job?

  3. #3mile2252014-01-27 21:29

    It took me 2 1/2 to 3 hours to get it out and 3 to 4 hours to get it back in. I am not sure how long it took to actually tear the converter down and inspect/ repair. It sat in the shop floor a while waiting on parts and me to get corn planted.

  4. #4wheeliemanmick2015-10-23 08:55

    So the torque converter can be removed with engine still in machine ? How expensive is a rebuilt converter ?