Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 850b turbo track loader starts and runs great, stumbles and loses power after a minute or so

usmcdevildog502 · 2022-12-02 08:53

Sorry for the long title but have a case 850b 1978 model with turbo and it starts right up everytime, runs great for a few minutes, then starts losing engine power and sputtering a little bit, new fuel filter and water separator as well as clean particulate fuel cup. Could lines be clogged and starving for fuel? Or am I missing something here.

Replies8
  1. #1Vetech632022-12-02 09:11

    Make sure the suction line is unrestrained from the supply pump back to the tank. Also make sure your fuel cap is venting.

  2. #2Coy Lancaster2022-12-02 12:30

    Check flow of fuel from tank to filters and then from filters to lift pump on the side of injection pump, also check strainer in glass bulb at lift pump.

  3. #3thepumpguysc2022-12-02 12:39

    That engine should have a Bosch “A” pump w a supply pump bolted to the side of the pump body.. The pump on those engines are “backwards”, so the supply pump is closest to the engine.. Start the engine and wait for it to stumble.. now work the hand primer up and down.. Does it smooth out.?? The supply pump is a weak point.. And the filters were ignored on most of’m.. What happened was, the dirt was allowed to pass thru the filters and ended up in the supply pump.. wrecking the seats and valves and scoring the piston.. If u were so inclined, the o/h kit # is a DGK301.. comes with new plastic valves and springs, along w copper gaskets.. A DGK301-H is the same kit that includes a new hand primer.. Good luck

  4. #4usmcdevildog5022022-12-03 12:17

    Thank you I’ll try that

  5. #5usmcdevildog5022022-12-03 12:21

    thanks so much man, I’m gonna try that now, cause once we wait for stumble, and start hitting the prime pump she smoothed on out for a bit..

  6. #6usmcdevildog5022022-12-03 12:56

    Brother thank you, I know a lot of folks get on these forums and find help that fixes the problem, and they never report back! But your solution fixed it, the glass bowl before the filter and water separator was so full of stuff it was unbelievable.. she runs so good now it’s crazy.. we knew it was fuel related we just didn’t know there was another bowl to check!! Thanks again brother!! I posted a pic of what came out of that bowl, it was clogged solid, barely anything could get through, I don’t beleive it made it past screen or into lift pump because it’s never ran as good as it does now, never knew this turbo made this much power….

  7. #7thepumpguysc2022-12-03 13:02

    HOLY SMOKES.!!!! I don’t believe I’ve ever seen 1 that bad.!! & I’ve been doing rebuilds day in and day out for 35 years.!!! Glad we could point u in the right direction..

  8. #8alrman2022-12-03 14:18

    @usmcdevildog502 You may want to have a look under the operator seat/machine rear cover area & see if there is a brass water trap connected to the fuel tank If it is still there, it will be your next problem...