Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 850B won’t move!

trekker-life-4-me ยท 2017-08-25 16:23

Hi, Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm new to these things... I have a CASE 850B track loader which has been great and runs well. The other day, the transmission pressure line to the gauge burst, sending transmission fluid all over the engine. I repaired the line, and refilled the transmission with TCH fluid (it took 5 gals!). Started it up, checked for leaks, all good. But it won't move! nothing... Transmission hydraulic gauge shows green, and bounces a little when I shift FWD/REV... but doesn't even try to move. increasing the RPMs makes the gauge go to the top of the green.... but nothing else. Is there something I need to do after filling the transmission? Is it possible (dread) that something else was damaged when it ran out fluid for a few seconds?? Any help would be appreciated... I'm dead in my tracks!

Replies7
  1. #1DMiller2017-08-26 14:30

    Check your brake/shift system for anything going to neutral, a parking system that had not functioned in a long time that may have been shocked into life may have you in bypass thinking it is not supposed to move.

  2. #2trekker-life-4-me2017-08-26 15:19

    Thanks DMiller! That may be it... I had to remove the brake assembly with master cylinders in order to get to the end of the hose by the pump. When I put it back together I re-filled the brake cylinder reservoir , but I did not bleed them, as I didn't see any way to do that. Could not bleeding the brakes cause this? If so, how is that done? thanks again! Trekker

  3. #3DMiller2017-08-26 15:27

    First question, what did you put in brakes, hydraulic or brake fluid? Not that I think you would add what isn't supposed to go there. Next check this thread: HeavyEquipmentForums

  4. #4trekker-life-4-me2017-08-26 15:30

    Per the manual, I put DOT-3 brake fluid in the brakes. thanks, I will check out the link and let you know how I faired...

  5. #5melben2017-08-31 09:28

    Did you perchance bump the hi lo lever into neutral while you were working on the brake, pressures dipping and returning to normal sounds like good clutch action, check the lever that comes up thru the floor and move it to make sure it is engaged, unlikely you hurt anything as the hydraulic part sounds normal, that is a very bulletproof tranny. There are 1/4 in. bleeders on the side of the brake cylinders.

  6. #6trekker-life-4-me2017-09-03 19:53

    Hi Melben, You guessed it! Indeed, it was just the Hi/Lo level was bumped into neutral! Everything is working Great! I truly love this 850B Loader with the clamshell bucket. It turns 40 years old next year, but you would never guess that by the way it looks and runs! Thanks again for all your help!

  7. #7sulli2017-11-22 18:25

    I too have a very old 850 and will be going through it tightening up anything that has been neglected over the years. It had a case back hoe attachment for it and the circuit that once opened and closed a 4 in one bucket now charges the backhoe since it has a non opening bucket on it. I plan on trying to find a 4 in 1 bucket and will only use the backhoe if needed. Mine fires right up even in -20s had a oil pan heater and crankcase heater. I look forward to using it.