Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CASE 850C – Hi Lo Range Selection doesnt engauge correctly

TexAcoon ยท 2016-04-19 15:44

I purchased this CASE 850C about three months ago and never had to select the range from Hi to Low. I tried selecting it while the engine was running. When making the selection from HI to LO coming out of HI was no problem .. it was going into LO was like wanting to grind gears.. I got off of it quick ... So I tried bring it back into HI position and it too wanted to grind... Decided to turn off the engine.... Then made a selection to LO... the shift would not lock into LO position... I then went back in to HI position ... once I did I started the engine and checked the unit for forward and reverse movement ... all was ok ... What puzzles me is why it does not synchronize into HI or LO range with the engine running?

Replies5
  1. #1alrman2016-04-19 20:01

    Welcome to HEF TexAcoon! What you have described - 2 speed is working as it should - there is no synchro. You do indeed need to shut down the engine to shift ranges. TIP - leave it in low range. Regular use in high simply shakes the machine to pieces. :yup

  2. #2TexAcoon2016-04-19 20:47

    Thanks and thank you for the info .. Didn't realize you had to shut down the machine to switch ranges .. Well OK .. sounds like I did the right thing then ... At this time I'm working on a road way that is fairly steep and need HI range to get up and down the hill.... However, the unit doesn't seem to want to shift into HI range at all .. Is there a possibly of a linkage adjustment that may need to be made? ...

  3. #3brianbulldozer2016-04-19 23:33

    ??????? I'm with Airman on keeping it in low range. I have an 850D dozer and before that an 850B dozer so been on them over 25 years and can't remember ever using the HI range.

  4. #4alrman2016-04-20 02:48

    I would guess it has never been shifted out of low range for a long time & the pivot for the linkage is seized. ..... If you are working in steep terrain......low range is where you want to be ......

  5. #5TexAcoon2016-04-20 05:44

    After seeing BrianBulldozers "??????????????" I see my statement was incorrect... YUP Low is where I need to be .. Thanks again Alrman ... appreciate the feedback ....