Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 850K left track won’t move forward

vcat ยท 2021-07-18 18:21

Dozer operates in reverse fine. Right track appears to operate forward normal. Fault code 4121. Did the basic checks. Fuses and cleaned relays ok. No visible wire damage. Solenoid coil checks ok at 5.8 ohms. Book says 5.75 plus or minus .75, so good there. there is however no ground at pin 1 connector 63. I ran a jumper from battery ground to wire at pin 1 and it didn't help. Dozer sat for several weeks. It started right up but wouldn't move. Had two fault codes come back. 4531 and 4532. I followed the service manual on the checks. Finally replaced the left joystick. (again). That fixed that. Had a relay corroded that wouldn't release park brake. Got that fixed. Then had no engine RPM. That was just linkage. I have obviously lost ground somewhere but i don't know where to look. Any ideas or information would be greatly appreciated.

Replies6
  1. #1Coy Lancaster2021-07-20 22:11

    You should have a braided ground cable from engine to frame around starter area usually.

  2. #2vcat2021-07-21 08:29

    Thanks for the reply Coy. That will give me a place to start.

  3. #3vcat2021-07-23 09:49

    I found the engine to frame ground cable. It looks fine but I pulled it off, cleaned the connections, and reinstalled it. I have lost my full throttle RPM. It dropped from about 2100 to about 1800. When I changed out the left joystick before I had to change out the throttle and brake pots. Going to check those for failure. Any thoughts or ideas welcome.

  4. #4Coy Lancaster2021-07-23 15:32

    Did you recalibrate your throttle pot.?

  5. #5vcat2021-07-23 17:12

    I tried a few days ago but never got it to take. Got "CAL FAIL" several times. (6 to 8 times). I will try again. Today I removed the ground wire I had put on and now I don't have reverse or forward on the left track. It tries to move just a little but then stops. I don't have the transmission light come on 3 or 4 seconds after I try to move like before. I also have fault 4141, Left track reverse. Just before I got rained out I checked ground pin to ground at throttle pot connector (circuit side) and it read 100 ohms. I had to stop at that point. also reverse solenoid coil checked 5.9 ohms

  6. #6vcat2021-08-12 13:33

    First, thanks to Coy Lancaster for the replies, they are much appreciated. I got the Case 850k going. While chasing my lost ground I found some bare wires. When I repaired them, the fault codes stopped and I started clearing brush and trees again. When it runs it does a great job.