Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 850k starting issue

pdevaney · 2019-09-13 17:29

My dozer works exceptionally well except it has starting issues. When you start it you just here a click. Sometimes if you try it 10-12 times it will start. I cut the wire going from the relay to the starter to test with a volt meter. With the volt meter just attached to the relay wire and not the starter I turn the key and get between 12.4 and 12.7 volts. When I splice the 2 wires back together and turn the key i’m getting 7.2 to 7.4 volts. This has been a ongoing problem for years so I figured I would fix it. I’ve replaced the starter and put 2 new Optima batteries on it. My guess it’s a bad safety switch but have no clue where to look. The crazy thing is if I jump it off with my truck it fires right up. That’s why I replaced the batteries thinking it had a dead cell somewhere but does the same thing with the new ones. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Replies26
  1. #1Coy Lancaster2019-09-20 12:18

    You might want to check your ground connections at frame and engine ground.

  2. #2BigDiesel6.42024-10-12 19:57

    What else i have same problem

  3. #3Coy Lancaster2024-10-12 20:35

    Check all fuses and relays. Don’t just check for continuity check voltage also. Check amp draw on battery cables and continuity also.

  4. #4pdevaney2024-10-12 20:51

    ended up wiring a starter button right next to starter. Haven’t had a problem since.

  5. #5Coy Lancaster2024-10-12 20:58

    Whatever works

  6. #6pdevaney2024-10-12 21:02

    Tried for a year to get it to work right. Ran a new wire from fuse to starter. It worked a few times. Changed ignition switch. Had Case out etc.. button was a much easier solution.

  7. #7Coy Lancaster2024-10-12 21:13

    Like I said before whatever works. Adapt and overcome.

  8. #8BigDiesel6.42024-10-14 22:54

    This is getting fuel i jump the starter and spins fast not even a puff out the exhaust. Will fire on ether. Shuts right down. It will run for months no problem than no start again. All solenoids have power grounds are good. No voltage drop

  9. #9Coy Lancaster2024-10-15 07:40

    Have you checked your fuel shutoff solenoid? Remove solenoid and do away with plunger then reinstall solenoid, bleed system and see what happens. What series 850K is this machine?

  10. #10BigDiesel6.42024-10-23 15:18

    Codes are 4323f 21490. I'm guessing the shutoff is no good i cleaned it out it's on the side I believe it started once bled than shut down . Now got it running wont shut down with the key. LIFT PUMP WAS BAD LIKE I THOUGHT R&R FILTERS TOO.

  11. #11Coy Lancaster2024-10-23 17:43

    Did you find any trash on shutoff plunger?

  12. #12BigDiesel6.42024-10-24 07:58

    There was none

  13. #13BigDiesel6.42024-10-24 08:09

    Just very hot ... no good...dangles not energized than plunges out when energized the side one here is the one I had out.

  14. #14Coy Lancaster2024-10-24 08:09

    That’s good, did you find the code meaning?

  15. #15BigDiesel6.42024-10-24 08:13

    That is the shutoff? I thought it was told it was under the red wire there is a big solenoid in pic than another one small right behind fuel lines and a internal plug in the bottom. THANKS YOU GUYS ROCK THIS MACHINE JUST HAS ME OVER IT THEY DONT MAINTAIN NOTHING

  16. #16BigDiesel6.42024-10-24 08:13

    No just got them but it's RUNNING ... lift pump and diesel kleen

  17. #17BigDiesel6.42024-10-24 08:15

    I do mobile repair the machines 45 mins away so it's hard you guys rock low I not know that this form everybody answers so fast and quick and very helpful not a bunch of people just talking smack to each other

  18. #18Coy Lancaster2024-10-24 08:27

    The solenoid on the outside of pump is the cold start solenoid. The fuel shutoff is the one on the IP head between the injection lines.

  19. #19Coy Lancaster2024-10-24 08:46

    That code 4323f is decal pedal locked out, unstable readings is what service manual says.

  20. #20BigDiesel6.42024-10-25 12:30

    Decal? And thank you AGAIN!

  21. #21BigDiesel6.42024-10-25 12:34

    Saying it is on top the shut off there is also a wire under going inside the pump I took out the side one cleaned it. It's the small top one on top of the rails?

  22. #22BigDiesel6.42024-10-25 12:44

    Whts decal pedal? Any luck with the other code?

  23. #23BigDiesel6.42024-10-25 12:47

    There is a solenoid one on top and a plastic one built into the pump from the bottom..

  24. #24Coy Lancaster2024-10-25 12:49

    I meant to type decel pedal

  25. #25BigDiesel6.42024-10-25 12:52

    It works tho lol

  26. #26BigDiesel6.42024-10-25 15:33

    Hmmm