Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 855d

firetransport · 2018-10-29 21:18

My latest acquisition

Replies19
  1. #1sawmilleng2018-10-30 01:07

    Oooh! VERY nice!! And lookit all the extra stuff in the loader bucket!! What size is the backhoe?--It looks like 580 size but I can't quite read the label on the boom. What are you planning with it? Jon.

  2. #2firetransport2018-10-30 16:39

    You’re correct 580E backhoe. I’m going to do a small demolition/cleanup job on an old ski resort.

  3. #3sawmilleng2018-10-30 16:43

    Seems an odd time to do a demolition of an area that specializes in snow...do you have to do the work in the winter to minimize soil disturbance? Or just grabbing a good deal to get ready for spring? You going to have to pull out chairlift towers and stuff on real steep slopes? Photos and comments are necessary as the job progresses!! Jon.

  4. #4firetransport2018-10-30 16:59

    Haha, yeah the timing is a bit late, however I finally found some time to get the job done. The job has been on my radar for about a year. No steep slopes or nothing like that just removing the old vandalized and burnt down buildings at the top of the mountain, its pretty flat actually. Will definitely post pics of the job, and keep you guys informed.

  5. #5Coy Lancaster2018-11-19 22:59

    Nice machine looks like you made a good deal.

  6. #6viking12018-11-26 21:02

    I have the exact same machine; you can find a thread on it here. Currently looking for a good running takeout 6T590 engine for it, or will go thru the current one (lasted a few years,but now smoking thru the crankcase vent). Have really gotten a lot of mileage out of it....

  7. #7firetransport2018-11-26 21:20

    I've read through your thread, the fresh paint sure cleaned it up. I might just have to do it to this one ,the snow hit so it postponed the ski resort job yet again. So I haven't had a chance to work the machine yet. In the meantime i've been maintencing it changed some hyd hoses, new batteries, resealed quite a few cylinders etc. The guy i bought it from never pulled the belly pans, and they were caked with dirt so it rubbed a pinhole in the oil pan. So i just replaced that last week....never ends

  8. #8viking12018-11-26 22:38

    Yes Sir the pinhole in the oil pan is a common problem, and it happened to me too (multiple holes). I actually used JB weld successfully on it for many many years......

  9. #9Tinkerer2018-12-02 20:20

    Very nice looking outfit Firetransport ! Seems strange to me to see dozer grousers on an endloader.

  10. #10firetransport2018-12-02 23:54

    There’s lots of clay in the foothills of California, some machines have the dozer style grouser while others have the street pad style.

  11. #11Welder Dave2018-12-03 01:41

    Be careful when turning sharp in high traction area's like when loading trucks. That's why most loaders have street pads or double grousers. It can be hard on the drive train.

  12. #12firetransport2019-01-18 20:39

    In the future I would like to get a hydraulic hammer/breaker for this machine to run on the hoe. What would be the right size, and a good brand to get? I am looking in the used market. As the hammer would probably be low use for some small odd jobs every once in awhile. thanks

  13. #13Coy Lancaster2019-01-19 07:22

    I'd look for a hammer that will fit a 580 size backhoe

  14. #14firetransport2019-01-19 21:33

    When I say size I'm refering to the ft. Lbs. Like 1000ft. lbs or 2000ft lbs for breaking force? Also just because it fits a case 580 does not necessarily mean its an ideal size.

  15. #15Welder Dave2019-01-20 00:09

    A 580 breaker for a 580 hoe seems like the most logical choice. I doubt there's many breakers on track loaders with backhoes so how would you know if another breaker is a better option? I'd be looking into if you have enough hydraulic cooling capacity to run a breaker.

  16. #16kith2019-01-20 09:02

    Does your machine have the auxiliary hydraulics on it to run a breaker? I don't see any lines in the picture.

  17. #17firetransport2019-01-20 17:44

    Would the extendahoe lines work if i disconnected them?

  18. #18Tags2019-01-20 18:44

    Probably not...to run a hammer one line needs to have free flow return to the hydraulic tank, plus you need to be able to adjust the flow to match the hammer, I'm not sure you can achieve all of that with the extendahoe lines. It would probably be cheaper in the end to rent a machine with a hammer and dig the hammered material out with the track loader hoe, that way you don't need to stop and switch from hammer to bucket all the time...

  19. #19kith2019-01-20 21:40

    Tags is right. Breaker return needs to go straight to tank. Flow control valve would be needed to regulate the right flow. You could probably set it up with auxiliary hydraulics but the cost would buy alot of rent time.