Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 855d loader problems

Donny Martin ยท 2015-06-05 06:59

Hey guy's thanks for having me. I have a case 855d I just got it yesterday. The machine runs and droves great. However my hydraulics for my bucket are very weak. When you first start the machine you can push the front end up in the air about a foot or so. However it will only do that once or twice. It will not lift up more than five feet. If you have the bucket in dirt it will not roll backwards or lift. It's like it doesn't have enough hydraulic pressure. I wasn't sure if the hydraulic pump works the drive and the loader all so. I'm thinking I have a pump going out. But if the transmission and loader use the same pump it may not be the pump. Any info would be helpful! Thanks

Replies5
  1. #1sheepfoot2015-06-06 00:16

    You have a main hyd pump for the loader and a charge pump for the trans both mounted on the converter. Hyd pump is under the floor board and below it is the charge pump. If you unbolt the side cover rt hand side of the hyd tank you will be looking at the control valve for the loader. The left side facing the valve is the inlet/outlet section, with the top tube going in it you will see a plug or a test fitting to check your pressure. Your hyd tank holds 12 gallons and should have a sight glass to check the oil level with the loader/bucket on the ground. To check your pressure install a test gauge in the port, raise loader all the way up and hold it for a few seconds and read the pressure at 2000 rpm's. The pressure should be 2450- 2600 psi. Your pump is rated at 31 gpm at 2000 rpm at 2000 psi. In the inlet/outlet section there are several spools and your main relief which has a small cone filter, the sections have some shuttle balls and seal rings also. I would try to have the pump flow tested on the machine if possible so you know what you have before tare into a lot of things, it could be a sliver of trash in the main relief not allowing it to build enough pressure, low oil level, pump, inlet/outlet valve or other issue.

  2. #2Donny Martin2015-06-07 10:46

    Thanks sheep foot. I came over this morning and started taking the covers off for my loader controls. I started the machine up at it ran good for about 15 minutes. All at once a whining sound started coming from under the seat. I shut it off and checked the fluids in the trains. It was a little over full. I started it back up to see if it would move forward or backwards and it would not! Is it possible for something to be going on with the converter and not spinning either of the hydraulic pumps fast enough? Up until today I have not had no problems at all with the drive of the loader. Is there a way to check the hydraulic pressure on the other pump that controls the transmission drives?

  3. #3Donny Martin2015-06-07 12:14

    I was able to find the problem with the teams. That one is on me lol. Does the hydraulic tank have a suction filter in the tank?

  4. #4sheepfoot2015-06-11 22:06

    There is a filter in the tank, remove the row of bolts around the oil fill on the rear hyd tank, and bump it loose. You can reach inside and turn the tee handle and spin it loose. Pull the tee handle and filter out and change. IF you drained the oil refill the tank.

  5. #5Quixote2015-12-23 01:20

    I understand there is a filter in the hydraulic tank, but is there another filter elsewhere? I plan on re-using the oil after I drain it out and replace the filter. By the way, I have a bad brake cylinder which is leaking badly. I've tried to remove the brake cylinder, but 1/4" socket is too small, and 9/32" is too big. Do these small bolts require a 17/64" wrench? Puzzling.