Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 859G

rodburnertx ยท 2014-03-17 22:00

Hello all, I am looking for a little help here. My brothers have a Case 850G that they bought used a couple of years ago. Good fixer for their needs with strong engine. It actually worked very well until it set for a while. Now when they tried to go back to work with it, one of the brakes won't release. Trying to find out if it is electrical related. I understand there are switches or solenoid. Maybe corroded connections or broken wires? Hopefully someone has had a similar experience and give me some guidance.

Replies7
  1. #1rodburnertx2014-03-17 22:03

    Sorry y'all It is a Case 850G

  2. #2clintm2014-03-17 22:56

    I have one of these I don't think it's electrical there's not much electrical on them. My brake pedals will stick if it's been setting a while they have grease fittings on them where they mount to the fire wall you may have to take the linkage loose and make sure that they move freely by them self's spray some good penetrating oil on all the linkage all the way to the transmission.

  3. #3rodburnertx2014-03-17 23:20

    Thanks for the info clintm Definitely gives me a starting point.

  4. #4pdbigsky2014-03-18 03:40

    My experience with a 450 Crawler and 580 Backhoe is that condensation gathers in the brake housing, corrodes and locks up the brakes. The brake housing on the 580 had a weep hole in it, but a bit of brake dust & rust will block it leading to further rust, etc. I don't know the 850G's system, but I'd suspect something along this line.

  5. #5guest2014-03-18 06:36

    I have an 850G also and petals stick but not to the point brakes are engaged just kicks whatever side into neutral (not pulling). The linkage probably needs lubed, but these machines are not petal steer you steer with track speed levers I hardly ever use brakes. The brakes are in trans would not think they are corroded, but they are adjustable for wear I have nearly 7000 hrs on mine and they have never needed adjusted. Check your linkage first I don't think you have a big problem. Steer with track speed.

  6. #6Dickjr.2014-03-18 17:13

    Can you give us a little more info , is it both tracks or one the brake is stuck on? Is the safety lever actuating to engage the transmission. These things rarely give much trouble.

  7. #7rodburnertx2014-03-20 23:21

    850G Working I finally was able to check out the machine. After finding parking brakes were not releasing. I found the parking brake solenoid was not allowing oil to the brakes. Installed a jumper wire from battery to solenoid and brakes released and machined moved and operated fine. Solenoid good! Checked the parking break relay switch and it was good also. I asked some questions and found out the problem originated after some switches and relays were replaced. Long story short, I found a wire that was not in relay junction block after removing the block. Checked continuity of wire and determined it was the wire to parking brake solenoid. After getting wire back in junction block, the brakes were releasing. Thanks to all that replied and offered advice. Rodburnertx