Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 85xt 4-390 share with a 4bt?

Tomcat955 · 2022-07-02 22:23

So I’m helping a guy get a case 85xt running after his brother died and left it taken apart. Crank shaft rods pistons and who knows what else is missing. I here the engine is basicly a Cummins 4b but with a few variations. Can I swap a Cummins 4b in and swap over accessory’s etc?

Replies5
  1. #1mitch5042022-07-02 23:33

    yep, Case actually developed that engine series (3.9 and 5.9 liter) and licensed it to Cummins to manufacture.

  2. #2Tomcat9552022-07-03 00:36

    Do you know what parts are shared vs what’s different? Can I buy a 4b and drop it right in?

  3. #3mitch5042022-07-03 09:05

    Yes

  4. #4jacobd2022-07-03 13:52

    You can drop in a either a 4B or a 4BT but a 4B is naturally aspirated and will have significantly less horse power.

  5. #5alrman2022-07-04 02:18

    The 85XT was naturally aspirated & rated at 69HP. If you bought another engine & it was lower or higher horsepower - you could fit the original injector pump to the newer engine, as that is what controls the HP. Get the numbers off the injector pump & ask a diesel fuel injection shop to tell you the HP rating of the engine. I wouldn't fit a turbo model as there would be some differences in intake & exhaust that would need modifying & add to the cost. Would all the missing parts be at a local engine machine shop?