Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 85XT Axle Broken; Advice Needed

Tradbeau ยท 2017-02-08 09:44

I have an 85XT and the axle broke, leaving the end that the sprocket goes on in the sprocket. I have the axle assembly off and I'm wanting to know if there is a known good way to get the end of the axle out of the sprocket without taking it out of the skid steer. I was considering a slide hammer. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Replies3
  1. #1Delmer2017-02-08 13:14

    If that hole goes through then a bolt or piece of threaded rod with a socket as a spacer and some nuts and washers might do it. A slide hammer wouldn't be my first choice.

  2. #2Tradbeau2017-02-08 18:18

    DOH! Like a homemade puller. Can't believe I didn't think of that.......Thanks!

  3. #3Tradbeau2017-02-15 15:58

    In the end I used both. The puller did work up to a point but got bound up. The slide hammer finished the job easily after that. I appreciate the response.