Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CASE 880 Excavator

Al-from-Maine · 2023-11-05 07:06

I have a 1980 Case 880 excavator. It has a turbocharged 4 cylinder diesel engine model number A336BDT. It has sat unused for the last 5 or 6 years. The former owner used to use ether spray to get it started. I recently tried starting it but without success. The engine turned over nicely and was not stuck. I didn’t use ether because I wasn’t sure where to spray it. It appears the engine came equipped with a cold weather ether injection system that was disconnected and looked unused for some time. I’m hoping someone familiar with this engine will know how/where to manually spray ether to start this engine. Note the attached manifold, ether injection and air filter exploded parts diagrams. FYI jet #9 and the tubing in the ether injection system are missing. Thanks! Al

Replies3
  1. #1Welder Dave2023-11-09 02:34

    If you're not sure where to spray ether you may want to have a qualified mechanic help you try and get it started. You spray it very sparingly in the air intake/air cleaner. Make sure you are getting some smoke out the exhaust before trying ether. Sitting 6 years you may need to clean the fuel system, change filters and prime the fuel system before even attempting to start it. Beware too much ether can ruin an engine.

  2. #2Al-from-Maine2023-11-09 07:30

    Thank you welder Dave. I think I’m all set for hopefully a successful starting of my excavator tomorrow. I belong to another forum on a different website where I’ve gotten a lot responses to my questions about starting my CASE 880. Here’s what I’ve learned: https://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/viewtopic.php?t=1645701&sid=711f4a1c789160c4c49ebd7d31753ff7 . Al

  3. #3Welder Dave2023-11-09 14:04

    You received great info. from the other forum. Make sure the pump is free (not stuck) and it should start. Good luck.