Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 90XT

charliefirewood · 2025-01-25 17:51

Hello, We have a Case 90XT. We went to pull it out of the storage area and it started up just fine but would not move. It seems the parking brake is stuck on. It is also continuously popping the 10amp fuse (3rd one down on left). After lifting the cab, we found this mess. We cleaned it up and found the chewed wire. That was fixed. One other wire was nicked but also fixed. Under the fuse and relay panel, there is what looks like an old ceramic ballast resistor. One wire was hanging loose by that and had been chewed on. Does anyone know what those wires go to? Does anyone have a wiring diagram or have any suggestions on what else to try? The machine worked great until these mice moved in. Thank you

Replies17
  1. #1charliefirewood2025-01-25 17:59

    I should mention that the fuse does not blow until the safety arm/lap belt is pulled down. With a good fuse in, arm up and machine running, the light for the parking brake is illuminated as it should be.

  2. #2Hondaracing022025-01-26 03:02

    If it all worked before, it most certainly is a wire related issue as you know. I believe there is another sensor in your right cab lock arm, that must also be activated too. Maybe you already know this- At least on my 75xt there is. I do have a 90xt in the shop also: I can take a pic of the wires you need to know, or follow them to where they go. I’m unsure of the exact wires you’re referring to though. Let me know and I’ll try to pull the cab up and send a pic of the wiring if this will help you?

  3. #3charliefirewood2025-01-26 07:37

    If you don’t mind, I’d appreciate it. I know on our old grain truck the ballast resistor was part of the starting system but I’m not sure on the 90xt. My assumption is that it is still good because when the truck resistor went bad, it wouldn’t start and no current would flow thru it. Charlie

  4. #4Hondaracing022025-02-04 01:10

    I apologize for the delayed response. I went to flip the cab and realized the helper cylinders were blown and didn’t have another machine to grab at the time to pull the cab up. Heavy SOB. I hope these pics help. May not… the two wires go into the main harness- yellow and red.. if you need more info or pics let me know. Also, I was wondering if you or anyone knew what the buttons in the right side panel do? Both rock each way but don’t stay put. I don’t have heat or power quicktach. Thanks

  5. #5Hondaracing022025-02-04 01:12
  6. #6charliefirewood2025-02-04 07:20

    If that’s your compartment behind the right side controller, it’s different than mine. I have a toggle for quick connect. A dial for heater/ac blower speed A temp dial And one other toggle I’m blanking on right now. This tech said the 3 wires on top are for a coil that energizes to release a pin that prevents movement, the backup travel alarm and a park break switch. I have touched and followed every wire I can and even took the two control panels down to look for damage. Nothing found. I need to test the solenoid by jumping power to it to release the interlock system. I’m hoping to get out there this weekend to take a look. These electrical problems are my worst nightmare.

  7. #7Welder Dave2025-02-05 00:58

    I've seen a mouse in my skid steer a couple times but thankfully they haven't feasted on the wires. I'm not really sure anything works to keep them out. They've been in all my equipment and trucks at my MX track. One time I was clearing a nest on the engine of my water truck and there was a mouse inside. Freaked me out pretty good. It would have got roasted if I hadn't cleared the nest. It was kind of on top of the driver's side exhaust manifold of a 6L GM gas pot.

  8. #8charliefirewood2025-02-05 07:44

    yeah, they’re a real PITA. Hopefully jumping that solenoid work this weekend and I’ll be back in business. I’ve even thought about just running a stand alone circuit and incorporate the seat safety and put a switch in. I’ll post again if this ends up working out in my favor

  9. #9Vetech632025-02-05 07:52

    Aren't they soooooooooo cute!

  10. #10HarleyHappy2025-02-05 08:34

    This winter, the wife made up TP cardboard tubes with peppermint oil in them and we put them in all the equipment. Will see how well it worked this spring but right now, they seem to be working as I haven’ noticed ant mouse droppings in anything we run.

  11. #11GTpesado2025-02-05 10:41

    are the 3 round green lights lit up in the right upper corner? One for seat, one for arm, and cab I think. if one of those is off machine will not move and you know at least it is in that circuit..

  12. #12charliefirewood2025-02-05 11:00

    Everything appears to be as it should when first starting the machine. All Lights on that should be. Once that lap bar is put down, the fuse blows.

  13. #13alrman2025-02-05 15:00

    Does this machine have mechanical loader controls? or are they servo controlled? With what you are describing here, I'm punting on mechanical controls. If so, you need to manually raise the loader frame & raise the cab to gain access to the loader control valve. Disconnect the lockout solenoids, (15 & 17) I'm betting one of them is burnt out & shorting to ground. It's a very common problem & you can't blame the rodents for it!

  14. #14charliefirewood2025-02-05 16:11

    Yes. That’s exactly what I have and was told to try and jump directly. Thank you for the reply. I’m going to try to get out there this weekend between the snow storm and wrestling sectionals.

  15. #15charliefirewood2025-02-05 16:30

    Mine looks slightly different now that I went back and looked at pictures.

  16. #16alrman2025-02-05 16:46

    That is a pic of your tandem transmission pumps, not the loader control valve. So yes, very different.

  17. #17Welder Dave2025-02-05 17:01

    I'd like that pic. with a huge lightning bolt frying the damn mouse.