Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 90XT axle seal replacement

Razoo ยท 2013-06-16 11:48

Can anyone tell me what's involved in replacing the seal on the front axle of of a 90XT? It appears you need to remove the axle housing but what's the degree of difficulty in separating the axle from the chain sprocket...DIY owner.

Replies4
  1. #1melben2013-06-16 17:10

    On the inside of the mainframe there is a 3"plastic plug that is removed to gain access to the nut that retains the sprocket, once that is removed the axle housing will come off without much difficulty. I believe that Case supplies a kit with all seals, bearing cups and cones complete. I beleve there is a large Oring that seals the housing to the mainframe also.

  2. #2Razoo2013-06-16 21:33

    Your advice was just what I needed. I found the rubber plug under the floorboard and was able to get the axle off and press out the seals and bearings this afternoon. Unfortunately it looks like I'm going to need the whole kit as the bearings are worn out. I don't suppose you can recommend a place that sells the kit at a reasonable price? I appreciate your quick response!

  3. #3melben2013-06-17 07:21

    Razoo, I guess i would just locate the nearest Case dealer, a progressive dealer should have them in stock or just be a day away from having them via special order, our shop does a daily stock order if dollar volume permits. You could go on Case's online site and possibly locate the closest dealer. Unless you have a rogue dealer who just sets his own prices we all work out of the same parts book, or nowadays off the same computer system so prices should not vary a lot from dealer to dealer although dealers are free to determine their own markup.

  4. #4franklinute2013-06-18 14:42

    You can get bearings and races at dealer, parts stores or bearing companies. The seal has been upgraded to a better/thicker seal than the original so that you may have to get from dealer. FYI the owners manual says the hubs and bearings need repacked every 1000 or 1500 hours so it might be a good time to check the other hubs also. After doing my 90XT hubs twice I screwed plugs in top and bottom of hubs and run the bearings in heavy gear oil.