Hi, looking at purchasing a 90xt. Just wondering if parts are getting hard to get for the XT series? Also any problems that they were prone to. Thanks
Thoughts?
As far as parts, I cant speak for certain, but I doubt it. The 90XT and the later 450 and 450 series 3 are all closely related. The engine changed from xt to the 450 but everything else is close. They are good machines, they cycle fast and if your a competent operator you can move a lot of material with one. The biggest issues with them (I had two 95XT's but never a 90XT) is the different safety sensors will go bad, easy to fix but frustrating at times. The machines are heavy and the while the 95XT had higher lift capacity the 90 was limited at around 2500 ROC. Pretty low for a machine that weighed around 10K. I always thought that was interesting.
Thanks
I've had a 90xt for a few years now as a hobby machine, I love it, it is a beast. I have had no real problems with it. I do remember reading online that a certain serial number range had pump or drive motor issues? Something that was resolved at the factory.
I have a 90XT that I have finally got running. I bought it with the engine partially dismantled and had been laying out open in the weather for a few years. I had to build the lower end of the engine because the oil pump sized and ruined the crank. I didn't have any issues finding parts for the engine and now it runs great. It took me a long time to get it all figured out because it had been just left in the dismantled condition and a few parts were missing. Once I had it back together I found that the injection pump was bad so that added another round of heartbreak for me but all is well that ends well. I am down to trying to figure out why the lift and tilt hydraulics are slow and if I can get that solved it will be a great machine again. It has good speed moving forward and backward and it has plenty of lifting power, but it just lifts slow. Anyway, that is probably more info than you wanted. But again I have not had any issues finding parts. Best of luck to you! B-Crazy
Thanks again, all info is good.
There was a short period of time where they changed the position of the pumps it didn't work and CASE paid to change the system on those that were sold if I remember correctly. There wasn't a lot of them but it was a bad idea. A friend of mine had a 95XT that had one of those machines, CASE fixed it. I would guess that most of those have been fixed by now.
I think your correct. I had forgotten about that. I think that was around the time they were merging with New Holland. And they thought it would be a good idea (wrong) to use the new holland splitter box behind the engine. So both pumps sat side by side. Rather than inline.
Agreed^ run away from the side by side pumps. But Also axles are becoming an issue, I have a post on here describing how no OEM parts were available , so I went aftermarket, had to make dumb mods to make it work, and 6months later the axle snapped again
^^^Was this for a 90xt or 85xt?
The axle issue was for the 85XT. I don't recall an issue with 95XT axles.
Yeah that's true it was an 85
Checked axle supply 1 in North America right now. Got an inspection done on the 90XT here are the results: -Charge pressure is 340psi and spec is 320-380 -hydraulics are 21GPM and relief is 3050psi-----spec is 25GPM and relief 2950-3050psi -high flow 30GPM and 5000psi----spec is 30GPM and relief is 5000psi -each drives are equal and do not stall out -Valve covers leaking -Unit needs a service -couplers leaking -turbo drain line leaking -muffler is cracked -bucket coupler will not release -high flow pump supply hose leaking -oil pan drain plug leaking -hood strut missing clips -engine oil low -cab pivot worn -tread on tires worn -back rh light burnt out -windshield wiper doesn’t work -electrical wiring is all over the place -hydraulic charge pressure light and alarm goes off Any red flags? Is the standard aux. okay at the reduced flow or is this a problem? Thanks for any wisdom or thoughts.
This has the 5000psi high flow aux., does this limit what I can run for attachments?
If I remember correctly there is a lever that activates the 5K pump, I think it was located on the left side of the cab as you sit in it. Without activation, it runs the normal psi. If you ran 5K through attachments not made for that kind of psi, you would have some serious problems keeping your attachments together.
Thanks IS the low flow aux GPM a problem with not being in spec?
Well it is capable of more than your showing. I am guessing that the pump is about done. If I recall correctly that pump which is a gear pump is pretty reasonable to replace or rebuild. Through the years I believe I bought one, just cant remember what XT machine it was. Your attachments will run faster, you would multi function better with a pump running at capacity. Still at 21 gpm your making decent flow, a lot of new machines today don't make any more than that.
Thanks, I am more concerned about the failure of the pump more than the actual volume. I will check into the cost of the repairs. Around here nothing seems “reasonable”, not enough competition I guess.
You have a unique machine. The 5K system was decades ahead of itself. I am not aware of a machine today that pushes hyd oil that hard in a skid steer. They were used by asphalt guys for running large planers and mulching guys. Case had a track system for these before tracks became popular. It had special wheels (two on each corner) with a rubber track over them that locked into the tracks. Pretty antiquated to look at today and leaking tires were a problem but it allowed the kind of stability that the planner contractors liked. I mentioned this earlier, but you would want to be careful hooking that 5K system up to attachments. I doubt there are many attachments that are made for that kind of psi. Anyway, nice find on the machine, even if it needs some work.
Can't speak to the 90 specifically, but my dad has had a 75 for 15 years now, up to 9,000 hours and it's been an incredible machine. It's got abused really bad and maintenance and repairs are pretty much unheard of and it still is a good machine and stood up incredibly well. Drive motors were issues, both have been replaced. Hoses for aux hydraulics both replaced, these are absolute nightmares to replace, but it has ran a breaker a lot and it shakes them really badly, few wheel bearings, hoses, not much else really which is shocking in 8,000 hours. Engine and hydraulics are still strong, it will still pick up 3,000lbs and dig as good as 15 years ago. From the sounds of it seems like a good machine, I would jump on it in a second. If I didn't need tracks I would have bought one, the newer iron doesn't stand up like these do, also no emissions or electronics.
These machines were made when steel was cheap, and they used a lot of it.
It sure shows in terms of durability. The 400's series are awful in comparison. The Cummins motors are also so much better.
I ended up buying it. It included a D125 Hoe all for a good price.