I am in search of any quality knowledge with regard to replacing a front drive chain on a 95xt. Case recommended installing the chain as a loop rather than with a repair link. This is the front-inner chain. If there is anyone with experience on this issue let me know and I will relay the problems I see.
Just an update to anyone who runs into a similar problem. The machine is back up and running. Only time will tell if this issue will reappear. My original issue was that I broke the front drive chain on the 95xt. This is the inner chain on the middle drive sprocket. Case had recommended to me putting on a chain loop, but with the machine design there is no way to get the middle drive sprocket off so that you can remove the outer back chain and get the front loop on. I found a case mech. who told me the only way to accomplish this was to unbolt the drive gearbox from the inside and thus slide the shaft inward. It looked like the only way this could be accomplished was to pull the main hydrostatic pump and lift it out. I wasn't enthused about dismantling the machine just to work on a chain so I decided to use a connector link on a new piece of chain. With no room to work this was not an easy task but with the wife's help(skinnier arm) we got it installed. I bought a piece of Diamond 120HD chain for the job. The chain that broke was Renold. This size of Diamond chain is cottered chain. With some concern over the connector link I put a spot weld on the side plate. When in uncharted territory these issues tend to make me a bit apprehensive. As a side note I went ahead and tightened the other 3 drive chains on the machine. They all needed slight tightening, but none were badly loose. I don't know if I will ever know why that chain broke. I should mention that for the past year I have been running big solid tires and over the wheel tracks from McClaren on this machine. I would be interested with anyone's experiences in running ott tracks on this machine. My machine spends a lot of its time with pallet forks on, as I have a post and pole yard. However at times each year I run a fecon grinder and use a tree shear on this machine in sometimes fairly steep mountain terrain. The steel tracks have added 500% to the 95's performance in this area and in the mud. It is still a very low hour machine, and I am hopeful that the running of steel tracks and drive chain issues are not a recurring relationship.
I mulch with my 465 and run OTT (Loegren) on mine. I have not had an issue with a chain yet. They are a beast with those OTT's on are they not!
Thanks for the information KSSS. I hope I have your luck going forward. A Case rep implied that chain stretch due to running tracks was the likely culprit of the breakage. I think at this point think I might have just had a substandard piece of chain. Going forward I will likely take my tracks off when just using the machine around the post yard. But when working in rough terrain running those steel tracks has spoiled me. Productivity is 10x as compared to the old 33.5 tires or chained up. Being in Idaho I expect you put your machinery into similar situations as I do at times. I may dip into your store of knowledge in the future if the need arises.
OTT tracks are a major killer of chain drive machines. The issue is that they tention the drive chains from both directions. a roller chain is supposed to have a little slack. You have to tention the drive chains without a track and keep the track adjusted correctly. It is similar to an older 4wd pickup on pavement, The axles are being pulled by the drive train and also by the other wheel.
I have had two 95XT's in the past so if I can be of assistance, I would be happy to help.
A Case mechanic that has helped me in the past gave me similar information. At the time that chain broke the other 3 chains were fairly tight. I do know that in the near future I am going to keep a close eye on those drive chains if the machine is seeing tough duty. As with your suggestion, I am going to keep a close eye on both the track tension and the drive chain tension to see if I can head off this problem occurring again. I would be curious to know if you have any experience with Reynold chain. The 120hd that is on the xt95 is some big chain. At the same time there is massive differences in chain quality on the market. Thanks for the input.