Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case backhoe differences

millwrightguy ยท 2009-06-09 11:44

Hello to all, kinda new to this, but i do currently run a ten wheeler dump truck, and looking to purchase a backhoe. Wondering what the difference is between a 580k and a 580 super k. Found a super k two wheel drive and just wondered what it might be worth. It does have a cab but no extend a hoe. Thanks in advance..

Replies17
  1. #1CMSMOKE2009-06-09 12:56

    The difference is the super model is turbocharged. About 5 more horsepower, a little more digging force and a little heavier. I ran both styles for countless hours and there is a slight performance increase in the super model, but if you this is your first backhoe and you are not in the seat for 10 hours a day on a production job, either machine will be fine. Rate the overall condition of the machine, get the hour meter reading and call a dealer for a price.

  2. #2amunderdog2009-06-09 16:05

    Just make sure whatever you choose has 4x4. It does make a great difference in loading the front loader.

  3. #3Goose2009-06-09 17:54

    There are 2 versions of the K model. Prior to serial # JJG0020000 the machine had the older style transaxle with the shuttle mounted to the engine. The later series K and the SK have the newer transaxle with the shuttle incorporated iinto the transaxle. Turbos on any of the K series were optional. It was not standard except in high altitude areas as an altitude compensater. All of the K series machines were pretty good they just had some different problems between them from the drivetrain differences.

  4. #4gggraham2009-06-09 17:56

    If the serial # on the 580K is before JJG0020000 there could be some big differences in power train and brakes and fuel system. Early K's had a shuttle shift and a transmission with outboard wet brakes. Later K's and SK have a transaxle with inboard wet brake. Early K's had 9mm injectors in the head not 7mm. 9mm were prone to cracking around the injector hole. The K's and early SK had CAV pumps, the later SK had a Bosch injection pump. The hydraulic pump in the turbo SK puts out 10 gallons more than a K. Something to think about when running aux functions. That said they are both good machines. SPECS 580K 63 net hp 181ft lbs torque @ 1200rpm 26gpm @ 2200rpm @ 2550psi 580SK Turbo 71 net hp 224 ft lbs torque @ 1400 rpm 36 gpm @2200 @ 2550 psi

  5. #5millwrightguy2009-06-09 18:26

    Well thanks so far for all of the replies so far. I just found out the backhoe i'm looking at is a 1994 model and the transmission is out. The guy said it won't move at all. I called the local Case dealer and they said that the tranmission in those tractors were only used for a few years. (Series 3) He said it could cost up to ten or even twelve thousand to repair, and that many tractors of this model have even been junked over a bad trans. The machine only shows 2600 hours but i'm really leary of the trans. problem. Any advice or options on repair would be greatly appreciated. Is this something that could be repaired outside the dealer? I know they are proud of their hourly rate...

  6. #6sport202011-08-07 12:43

    hi i'm new to this site so hello to eveyone. i bought a case 580k which has 9000 hrs on it. i started doing some much needed maintenance. changed trans/hydraulic cooler in front,replaced all seals on 4 hydraulic cylinders. i took out bottom drain plug on torque converter housing and quite a bit of oil came out. i don't think there is supposed to be oil in the housing. do anyone know what might be leaking. this is a phase 3 case with the shuttle being associated with the transaxle. any help would be appreciated thanks in advance

  7. #7Birdseye2020-10-01 18:41

    Hi I recently acquired a case 580e and the bolt at the bottom of the torque converter housing is missing. Does it need to be there? Is that area above an oil reservoir? your thoughts please, does it need a bolt in that at hole or is it optional? thanks !

  8. #8amunderdog2020-10-01 21:00

    I think? It is a maintenance item. It keeps mud and stuff out. Also retains oil leaks. Bet there is an interval for pulling that plug and checking.

  9. #9alrman2020-10-02 00:42

    @Birdseye It gives access to the torque converter drain plug & is meant to be left open.

  10. #10Willie B2020-10-02 07:07

    I've had two 1988 580K close in serial number. one is open, no thread, the other is threaded & open. I'd guess it can be plugged to prevent leaks from ending up on the ground. I've always been concerned about mice getting in.

  11. #11Willie B2020-10-02 07:23

    I can't see much dollar value in a 2 wheel drive backhoe. Of course, I live in VT where the whole state stands on end. That is to say near everywhere is steep. I had a 2 wheel drive a while. Loader work is tough. I had to back drag even a loose gravel pile to fill the bucket. They tend to dig holes under the rear tires as you scoop a bucket full. Next pass for another bucket, you have to climb up out of those holes along with digging into the pile. A two wheel drive was what I could afford at the time. I had been advised to buy a more expensive tractor & should have taken the advice. As for K compared to super K; I doubt you need faster cycle times, I consider the K too fast in cycle times. I rarely find myself out in the open where I can dig fast. I'm ALWAYS in close quarters where care must be used to avoid damaging something. I run mostly a little above half throttle.

  12. #12Ed White2023-06-27 10:35

    Expereincing tach reading in the red, but rpms (by sound ) only about 2000, could this be a turbo issue? 1989 case 580K 4T-390 construction king. Loss of power going uphill? ( about 11,000 hrs)

  13. #13Willie B2023-06-27 12:57

    I believe the Super K was equipped with Cummins 4BT 3.9 liter. These were rated at 70 HP. My newer 580 model is rated 95 HP. A very big difference. I shuttle down Route 7 a few miles near level. One spot, the grade is near invisible to the eye, I had to shift from 4th to 3rd. I have a short run of maybe 3% grade leading up to my house. I'd shift to third then second to get up that hill. Newer 580 Super N stays in 4th. Your tach is running off alternator frequency, might something be throwing it off?

  14. #14Ed White2023-06-28 08:10

    thanks for the info, will check out the alternator wiring. Could loss of power be the torque converter or maybe injecters 10,000 to 11,000 hrs on hoe

  15. #15Willie B2023-06-28 20:52

    I wonder if you are experiencing loss of power, or simply your engine is overloaded moving 17000 LBS up a hill. At 11,000 it won't have the power it did at 1000 Hours.

  16. #16Ed White2023-06-29 08:10

    Good point ! Hoe works fine with hydraulics ,and has a few leaks. Guess should be happy with a small issue of not as much power! I am slowing down also at 82 years ! Thanks for the help and input

  17. #17Ed White2023-08-08 10:45

    My 1989 580 K had a lot of oil out of that hole also. It was rear crank seal , a little labor to get to it but can install new one without removing oil pan. ( drill small holes in seal and pop out with slide hammer) caution when drilling as burrs can get into oil pan !New seal comes with an installation ring to tap seal into position