Hey group. So while surfing local auctions on the web I have located my dad's stolen case 580 sl backhoe. It was stolen 20 yrs ago almost to the day. I bought it back this weekend. We were not actively looking for it just happened to stumble upon it. So glad to have it back. They changed the pin number. I'm trying to figure out if there is any way to find out the original pin number for the machine thru engine serial number or chassis number. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Do you mean serial number? What did they do to change it and is it possible it isn't the same machine your dad had?
How were you able to identify it and recover it ??? Look very carefully at the frame rail under the LH door. It may be obscured by paint and dirt. It could also be under the base LH loader frame on the underside of it. The loader frame probably had an aluminum tag on the LH loader frame rail but was most likely destroyed.
This is what they put on it. There was some very distinct things done to it before it was stolen. The air pre cleaner was broken and a Massey Ferguson precleaner was installed. My uncle made the fork pockets for the bar fork. I welded the left stabilizer pad up. The cast iron link between the bucket and bucket cylinder was welded. Any we broke the bolts off the front driveshaft guard. This is it without a doubt. No much has changed. And just 400 to 500 hrs more in twenty years.
I will check this weekend when I get to the farm. Thank you!
Bought it at a local auction.
I hope the thief is tracked down and pays you interest ($) on for all the years he deprived you of your investment in the machine --- plus jail time.
Sounds like it was kept on a farm or somewhere where it wouldn't be noticed by many people. Was your dad paid insurance money for it? Did you talk with the police and the auction company? The seller could have been who stole or at the very least been in possession of stolen property. There might be ways to get back the money you spent to buy it back.