Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case Controls won’t unlock

jerry109999 ยท 2009-03-04 10:20

Greetings, First time user and first post. I have a question that I hope somebody can help with on a Case 9030B. This is a 1995 unit that will not unlock very easy when I depress the bar on the left side of the seat. Here is what I do when I get in the unit and what happens when I try to run. 1. Get in it and start> OK 2. Let machine warm up for a couple of minutes> OK 3. Depress arm to unlock machine> NOT OK I will fiddle with the arm many times and sometimes it will unlock but not always. If I walk away from the machine it will unlock after a period of time, sometimes 1.5 minutes or sometimes 5 minutes, at some point it will always unlock I just don't know when. I don't believe it to be the switch under the front of the seat I think it is in the Solenoid bank in the access panel (at least that is what I was told). My guy told me to take the solenoid out and polish the pin inside to allow it to move freely. He said that it seems to be hanging and after a little while it will start working and this to him seems to indicate that the pin inside needs to be polished. I removed one of the solenoids and did not have anything to polish it with so cleaned and inspected it, looked to be ok but I do not know which solenoid controls the unlock. I think that there are 8 solenoids in the bank and if any of you guys could help I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks, Jerry

Replies23
  1. #1AtlasRob2009-03-07 16:43

    That is the problem. Putting the arm rest down will be making ( or not ) contact with a switch that tells the machine it is safe to operate. Have a careful look ( with machine switched OFF ) under the arm rest. Find the contact point with the switch and check it. There are no tricks to it there will be a simple contact point when the armrest is down.

  2. #2jerry1099992009-03-07 17:39

    Thanks for the advice Robe but I must not have been clear when I used the word arm. The arm rest does nothing on this machine but they are adjustable. When I said 3. Depress arm to unlock machine> NOT OK, I was speaking of a metal arm on the outside of the arm rest between the arm rest and the door of the machine. This arm terminates below/under the bottom of the seat and engages the switch you are speaking of. When I depress this arm the unlock symbol on the panel is supposed to turn off and give me control of the machine. What is happening is, I am depressing this arm and the machine will not unlock, if I let the machine sit for a few minutes the symbol on the instrument panel will go away and the machine will be ready for use (unlock). I checked the contact switch and it appears to be ok and a mechanic told me that the solenoid bank in the rear access panel has a solenoid that controls the lock. Since the machine will eventually unlock and allow me to use it he said the problem is in the solenoid and not the switch and that there is most likely a bur on this solenoid pin and that by polishing this pin I should be able to make it move more freely and the machine should unlock quickly. It is this solenoid that I am trying to identify. He said he though it was the closest one to me (when I am standing at the door looking at the solenoid bank) however there double stacked so there are two that are right there and I am not sure which one I need to be messing with. FYI: I just got back from the ranch and each and every time I attempted to unlock the machine it worked fine. This was today but tomorrow it may be difficult to unlock again. Thanks and regards, Jerry

  3. #3AtlasRob2009-03-08 05:38

    As they say over here, my mistake, your fault I suggest that the next time the machine is working ok, shut it down, remove the relay that you suspect / think is at fault and then start up with it removed. Check result. Do this with each relay until you find the one that is responsible. I would avoid moving the deadman lever during this operation to eliminate another possible cause. Be very wary of swapping relays unneccessarily as you will just end up confusing yourself Do one at a time to try and find what each one does, something is not going to work! be it the wipers, lights, starter etc. DO NOT pull or replace the relays while the machine is running. An expert/proffessional might say its OK, but until then I would work on the side of caution. Once you are confident of locating the suspect one and having found what a few of the others do it MIGHT be possible to swap a less important one for the important one. Check the information on each one before swapping any. It should be easy to order a replacement once you know which you want. Good luck :drinkup ON edit, is there not a pictorial reference of the fuses / relays on the inside cover of the relay container ?

  4. #4AJsOffroad2009-03-08 13:15

    Hi Jerry we had the same problems with our 9030B. What we found out there is a filter for the pilot controls. We changed this filter and have not had the problem since. I hope this helps. AJ

  5. #5AJsOffroad2009-03-08 22:16

    Here is a diagram from Case's website. It is a paper element. #5 1 153233A1 FILTER, HYDRAULIC OIL ELEMENT - filter

  6. #6jerry1099992009-03-09 10:20

    Guys, Thank you both for the VERY helpful information. I am going to get the filter first and check that out after I remove the fuel tank and get the crud out of the bottom of the tank. The machine has been the victim of the low sulfur diesel and has taken alot of stuff off the sides of the tank including rust and crap. I have not messed with removing the tank itself and would think that the bolts for removal should be accessed through the panel below the tank? If there is a trick to removal that you know or something that I need to be aware of please post up. If not I will let you both know how it goes. Thanks again, Jerry

  7. #7AJsOffroad2009-04-03 19:28

    Any luck on the problem Jerry?

  8. #8NEK Digger2009-04-05 16:31

    This is great! I have a '97 Case 9010B and just experienced the exact same problem. Did some googling and ended up in this forum. Hopefully that will be a semi easy fix. Great site guys, and I'm sure I'll be back for trouble shooting in the future. Thanks again!

  9. #9AtlasRob2009-04-05 16:44

    Dont forget to let us know if it does or doesnt fix it, it will help us all :yup And welcome aboard.

  10. #10jerry1099992009-04-06 18:45

    Hey guys, I have not had the time to really try to find the Oil Filter yet due to the fact that the machine got a bad case of the "I won't run because of all the crap in the fuel tank that has come off from the ultra low sulfur you are putting in me". I had to drain the machine 2 weeks ago and plan on getting back on it and finding the control problem this week end and will let all you know. Thanks for checking up on me and I will let you know something shortly. Best regards, Jerry

  11. #11stock2009-04-07 03:18

    do you have a link for this site, may help with my challenge.

  12. #12AJsOffroad2009-04-07 20:13

    Here ya go. http://www.casece.com/wps/portal/ca...CaseCE&brandsite_language=en&brandsite_geo=NA

  13. #13KSSS2009-04-07 20:26

    I had the same problem with my 9020B. It was the wiring harness for me. Replaced the contact portion on the floor but it was in harness going to the relay bank.

  14. #14CascadeScaper2009-04-07 23:59

    Glad to hear you found us, welcome aboard! :drinkup

  15. #15jerry1099992009-06-23 13:15

    Guys, It has been awhile but I never found the problem that I asked about early this year about the control unlock problem. I kept running the machine and the issue went away which leads me to believe the initial problem was a filter that will reappear in the future and will deal with it at that time. Thanks for all the information that y'all gave me and sorry I don't have a fix to report and help somebody in the future. Jerry

  16. #16pruet2011-02-19 23:31

    have a problem with a case 9050 main controls work good but travel motor work in one direction only very weak you try to turn comes to a stop. the hyd bypass switch doesn't work properly you hit the switch and go to swing then it wants to travel

  17. #17Mgmdump2013-09-29 22:45

    I am also a first time user and 1st time post. I have a 1996 link belt 2650q which I have found to be the same as the case 9010b. I have had the same issues with the lock control temporarily inop. For a few min. Now that has gone away an the control lock works like it should when lever is pushed forward the lock light goes out and everything works great! Now for the new problem. When the lock lever is pushed forward the lock light goes out, and nothing works, no tack,no rotate, no hydraulic movement when applying control movement. Checked pilot filter,checked relays behind seat

  18. #18NEK Digger2016-04-13 07:21

    Good Morning All- OK, the intermittent issue with controls not unlocking is back! Extremely frustrating. We have checked all relays (replaced one), checked solenoids (replaced one) and changed the hydraulic filter that was mentioned. When the deadman lever is pushed foward, the lock on the display disappears, but the controls do not work. Here is the crazy thing, when the machine is in 'fine' mode, everything works! What is up with that? We are searching for a ground wire or other wires that maybe a mouse snacked on, but so far have turned up nothing. What are we missing? Any help at all is much appreciated! Thanks

  19. #19Shimmy12016-04-14 02:21

    There is a ground wire somewhere by the solenoid bank inside the right side door panel, the door where you access the main pump. It should be hooked somewhere in the area of the solenoids. I had a 9030B with exact same symptoms.

  20. #20NEK Digger2016-04-15 10:14

    Thanks Shimmy. We figured, or at least are hoping that it is something as simple as that. But of course, finding the wire is the next hurdle. If we can't find a bad wire, is there any other issue that someone can think of that may be the problem? As always, thanks in advance for any help / opinions!

  21. #21Dan Lange2017-07-02 11:28

    Greetings Gents, my first post here too. I have a 1999th 9020B excavator with the same problem (no hydraulic with arm engaged). I temporally shortcut the switch and found out that the upper left Solenoid is getting hot. I switched the magnet (after removing the cap) and the same solenoid is still getting hot. I am planning to take off this Solenoid. Did someone had the same issue or advice when unmounting it? Thanks

  22. #22lloyd burris2021-07-18 17:12

    i'm having the same problems with a 9030B and i have checked lockout switches, relays behind the computer and the pilot filter is good also. thumb works well and the hydraulic pressure is good too, 400psi at an idle which is the required swash plate pressure. does anyone know where the solenoid is located that energizes the hydraulics?...

  23. #23Coy Lancaster2021-07-20 22:22

    Good day gentleman, and I use that term loosely lol. There is a solenoid valve bank by the hyd. pumps. These solenoids control every function of the machine. The pilot control solenoid is the top one on outside of valve bank if my memory serves me correctly. Remove solenoid coil and there is a small spool that will stick and will have to be cleaned. Be mindful of the small parts in valve when you remove it. Here is a break down from parts book. Oh one other thing there is a serial number beak in valve but the parts are the same they just went to a one piece valve body.