Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case cx 210 boom cracks

TORQUE ยท 2012-12-21 21:28

I have looked at 2 Case 210s, 6,000 & 8,000 hours, both have had the booms repaired/plated behind the lift cylinder mounts a foot or so. Is this a weak spot on these machines or were they just abused? Should I worry about buying a machine that was repaired?

Replies8
  1. #1DK882012-12-21 21:42

    Correct me if wrong, check and make sure no welds go across the boom. Up and down is fine but, across will actually weaken the boom if it wasn't pre and post heated. Just my .02

  2. #2powerjoke2012-12-21 22:25

    Lol dumb question but are you talking across when the boom is up or down? I don't get it...... Like lengthways is fine ?

  3. #3Scrub Puller2012-12-21 23:55

    Yair . . . I reckon there's a lot of unnecessary mystique concerning boom cracks and welding repairs on jiggers. I am no 'expert' but I have been fixing stuff for close on sixty years. If some thing cracks it has to be gouged out and welded . . . even if it is across the boom. The weld needs to be finished well proud and then blended back smooth into the structure with a grinder and finished off with a good polish with a sanding disk. If it cracked there is little chance it's going to be any stronger when it's welded so it will need plating. Over the years there have been several threads on here about best designs for reinforcement plates. I guess they all work . . . I dislike the theory of leaving the ends of plates unwelded. I always taper off to a circle radius 1/6 that of the width of the member being reinforced and get a smooth weld in all around. . . plug welds every foot square or so, a nice two inch circle never hurts as far as I can see. I only ever had three types of rods on the truck, GP's, Low Hydrogen and Iron Powders . . . GP's did most of the work. I conditioned the L/H sticks in a hotbox on the manifold of the welder engine . . . the little Perkins on the 400 Lincoln's were the best. Cheers.

  4. #4uffex2012-12-22 15:22

    Good day Sir I was interested in your post in as much this appears to be not uncommon with twin boom cylinder machines. The cause can often be attributed to one cylinder has partial seal failure - another can be hose failure valve out of synchronisation - or shock valve damage when this option is installed. If you would like specific trouble shooting details drop an email to bucket [email protected] . Kind regards Uffex

  5. #5uffex2012-12-22 15:25

    Missed from the prevues post Please remember that a welded repair will only hav 75% the strength of the original construction this make repetitive issues a likely experience. re Uffex

  6. #6Scrub Puller2012-12-22 16:29

    Yair . . . uffex I cannot agree. A properly welded and plated unit should be at least as strong as the original. Cheers

  7. #7powerjoke2012-12-22 17:24

    Rod is stronger than most steel

  8. #8DK882012-12-22 21:57

    Power joke , yes lengthwise is ok. Thanks derek.