Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case FH-4 Transmission Problem

ddouglas3d ยท 2020-10-06 20:19

Hello, I joined this forum to see if anyone had some suggestions on fixing my problem. I have an older Case loader / backhoe model FH-4 and recently it would not pull itself. It is propelled by a hydraulic propulsion motor linked to a transmission / transfer case via a splined shaft. I removed the transmission and found the inside spline was totally wore out. The shaft on the propulsion motor is not too bad of shape. Is there a way to repair the spline teeth on something like that? I'm not having much luck finding parts on such an older machine (1982).

Replies5
  1. #1Coy Lancaster2020-10-06 21:44

    If you can get the part number from dealer then you could do a search online.

  2. #2Vetech632020-10-06 21:53

    I have had to have a local machine shop build new parts like that.

  3. #3ddouglas3d2020-10-10 10:19

    I have searched online and found it to be no longer available. I guess that I will contact a few machine shops to get their opinion. Thanks for the replies.

  4. #4Tinkerer2020-10-10 10:56

    Welcome to HEF, ddouglas ! A Google search for parts machines may find something. You may have to buy the entire transmission but, that may be a good thing. If you go that route question the seller about those splines. https://www.machinerytrader.com/lis...uipment/dismantled-machines/28411635/case-fh4

  5. #5ddouglas3d2020-11-20 17:20

    Update - I found a spline coupler that fits the hydraulic motor (7/8" 13 tooth) and had the shaft from my transmission bored to get rid of the bad spline. They turned down the coupler and cut off to fit inside the bored shaft. Holes were drilled in the shaft every 90 degrees so I can plug weld the coupler to the shaft. In theory this should work.......we'll see.