Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CASE Parts pricing info

Scottyboy ยท 2013-01-02 10:10

I have a thread started last week about an oil cooler for my 580K. I've decided to purchase a new one, and get a consistant price on the CASE website of $716.99 . I've called a couple local dealers, and each one gives me a different price (for pickup at their business) about $60-$70 higher. I mentioned to them that I was on the CASE website, with them logged in as my dealer, and it was showing $716.99. They said they were sorry, didn't seem to know anything about what I was saying, and they have to stick to the price their computer tells them. They were pleasant, and I was pleasant, but the price was still 10% higher than what my computer says by CASE, through their dealership, with their dealer's parts phone number on the page and me logged in as them being my dealer. There was a small letter thing near the price saying shipping and taxes would be added in. I assume that would be shipping to me (I'm picking up, so nix that), and tax (it's Delaware, so nix that too). What gives here? Is this normal? In order to get the CASE advertised price, do I have to order it on line? I'm a little old school, and would rather establish a relationship by a face to face visit, but don't feel I should have to pay about a 10% penalty for walking into a store with cash and drawing down their inventory. You guys that deal with buying heavy equipment parts, please give me a clue.

Replies3
  1. #1ILLICEMAN2013-01-02 13:08

    yep For many years alot of dealers have added 10% to the retail price of parts.Right or wrong it,s been done for along time. JD has seem to do a good job in getting dealers to stop.Parts margins have also gone down which has caused this practice to go on.

  2. #2Tinkerer2013-01-02 15:08

    I feel your pain. I have been in the same situation with OEM parts. I had to pay $85.00 to a Case dealer for a wheel bearing seal. I think we are somewhat lucky that dealer networks have the parts in stock and available. I know you decided to get a new cooler,but you could get lucky and find a nice one at a salvage yard. I realize there are situations that dictate that you have to get parts as soon as possible. That is when you have no choice but go to dealer that in some cases can have your part within 24 hrs.

  3. #3Scottyboy2013-01-03 08:38

    Not finding any used ones, I picked up a cooler at the dealership yesterday. I'll install it later today. I understand this is a special part in that it doesn't fit other equipment, just the CASE 580K, so I'm not that offended at the price. I do custom one-of-a-kind work, and know it costs more in time and materials than mass produced stuff. What offended me was that I was logged into the dealer's page of the corporate website for pricing, and that price didn't match what the counter guy told me. Later, I found a disclaimer under the "terms and conditions" button on the web page that basically says dealers may charge what they want. The price on the web page is for ordering from CASE, but doesn't include tax/ship. OK, I get it, and have been recalibrated. Don't care for it, but my feelings about it won't solve anything. Replacing the cooler will make some forward progress.