Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case Skid Steer/Cummins 3.9 Torque Specs?

Bobcat Crazy ยท 2018-12-22 20:57

Hi All, I just bought a Case skid steer, I haven't even gotten all of the parts to my shop yet so I don't know a lot about it other than someone had taken it apart because the engine needed a crank and bearings. It has the Cummins 3.9 diesel engine. I have the new crank and bearings installed in the engine but I am to the point that I need the torque specs. I'm sure that there is a chart or a link that someone has posted already but I haven't been able to find it. Could someone help me with this? Thanks in advance for your help. Merry Christmas B-Crazy

Replies8
  1. #1alrman2018-12-22 21:32

    G'day @Bobcat Crazy Early 4-390 engines had a normal torque setting procedure. They changed to Torque Angle along the line & most use this method for all now. It's not CNH or Cummins - but it's concise & accurate

  2. #2sims2018-12-25 07:39

    airman, Can you re-use the existing bolts or do you need new fasteners for torque angle assembly? Thanks. SimS

  3. #3alrman2018-12-25 18:17

    @sims There is a gauge in genuine CNH gasket kits, where you check for stretched bolts. However, I usually replace the bolts anyways..... I am old school & don't really like the torque angle method...... but people who get paid alot more than me say it's the way we should do this now

  4. #4jacobd2018-12-26 05:08

    Is "torque angle" the same as "torque-to-yield?" If so then the bolts are definitely not reusable as they will have been stretched past their elastic deformation limit and will be permanently deformed and weakened. However, I was under the impression that all Cummins B-series bottom end bolts were just standard torque-to-spec fasteners and only the later head bolts were torque-to-yield. The two B-series bottom ends I have reassembled held up fine with reused fasteners and common torque procedures, as per their manuals.

  5. #5Vetech632018-12-26 07:18

    Same here. I have reused many bolts with no issues so far.

  6. #6alrman2018-12-26 17:32

    The torque angle method is suggested for both big ends & mains in newer CNH service manuals that are younger than about 1990. Here is a pic of something I once found in the oil pan of a 6-590. I pulled the pan to replace it because it had holes worn into it & was leaking. This is approximately 2 years after the engine was purchased as a service exchange unit from Cummins Australia. I dare say torque angle would have been used to rebuild this engine.......

  7. #7Bobcat Crazy2019-01-14 19:06

    NICE bolt I'm glad that I don't have any that look like that (yet). Well that is other than the ones I broke into trying to get the cam gear back on. But hey I just re-drilled and re-tapped with a bigger size until I was successful .

  8. #8Loosecannon862020-05-20 22:37

    How do view this attachment