Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

case super e hydraulic fluid issue?

permaculture bob ยท 2018-09-06 15:23

This is more a request to try and find out about the operational symptoms of water in hydraulic fluid and use of incorrect fluid. My fluid has been leaking , most recently from one new steering cylinder after another, and I get that after two new ones and a third on the way, the problem is likely with my machine. would water in the fluid or a bad grade of fluid cause a cylinder to leak? I'm going to replace as much of the fluid as I can get out before installing the next cylinder anyway, since I figure it is the most obvious thing to do that might help when new cylinders don't seem to. I'm going to use the tractor supply Traveler Premium which says specifically for case machines and put in a new filter, but I was using their cheapo 303 fluid (I've replaced 10 +gallons so far. Also I was wondering if the Blue Devil stop leak is any good, or is it as bad for hydraulic systems as radiator stop leak is for radiators?

Replies8
  1. #1Delmer2018-09-06 16:43

    303 fluid specifically says "not for use in modern..." that should tell you all you need to know. Use it for an A or B, or H or M, or 8N, but not this. That's not the issue though, you could run muddy water and the cylinders shouldn't leak. Fix the leaks, don't add stop leak.

  2. #2catskinner 102018-09-06 16:57

    Use a quality Hyd. oil. Hyd. oil with water will appear milky. What Cylinders are you buying, Case or aftermarket? The aftermarket steering cylinders don't have a good reputation..

  3. #3Tinkerer2018-09-06 17:52

    Any chance the cylinders are being damaged when they are in extreme right or left (locked) ? Are the rods being bent ? Two or four wheel drive ?

  4. #4permaculture bob2018-09-06 19:41

    I don't think the extreme right or left is an issue, they seem to be set the same as the original (they are aftermarket.) and the rods look fine. I wondered if the fluid could cause that sort of spurting leak. The first replacement cylinder leaked around the rod, the second is leaking between the cylinder and spacer on the edge. I'll install this third one, and go ahead and order the parts I need to rebuild the original cylinder just in case. I've even thought about just rebuilding the new one if it leaks also. I figured the fluid was likely not the cause of the leaks, but I've never had the replacement for a defective part be defective as well. Yes, the hydraulic fluid is milky, and from what I've read if it gets to that stage it already has 50 times the allowable amount of water. Evidently the oil will dissolve a certain amount of water and remain clear. I did the half assed replacement of fluid tonight. About 11 or 12 gallons came out of the reservoir. I'll go ahead and install the new cylinder in the morning, run the hoe all day and then examine the oil, maybe do another 1/2 when I get the new filter on Monday (that will leave 1/4 of the original oil in the machine.)

  5. #5heymccall2018-09-06 21:40

    Oil type or viscosity ain't your issue. Either the cylinder is a piece of crap, or the pressure is too high, or the rod is binding from outside forces. The type/ quality of oil is for proper lubrication of the pump(s) and or clutches (if present). Cylinders aren't prissy at all, so long as it's a petroleum based oil.

  6. #6Tinkerer2018-09-06 22:03

    Adding new oil like you are is a waste of good oil. Whenever a system has so much water in it that it turns milky looking, the entire system needs to be flushed properly.

  7. #7permaculture bob2018-09-06 22:28

    thanks, for both comments, At least I haven't been responsible for damaging good cylinders, which had crossed my mind. What I don't understand is how the cylinders can be sold if so many aren't working. seems like it ends up costing everybody lots of time and trouble. So far on one 170$cylinder sale they've spent close to 100$ just in shipping parts back and forth (Broken Tractor) Seems like they would just abandon selling steering cylinders if they can't get good ones.

  8. #8Tinkerer2018-09-07 15:36

    Kudos to Broken Tractor for taking care of the replacements ! Quality control went sideways by whoever was supplying them.