Just replaced hose to backhoe and discovered leak in hoses that control the extendable dipper. No way to get to the hoses without removal of the extension. Found youtube video that makes it look easy. What they did is remove the extension and extension cylinder as one unit by leaving the open end of the cylinder (extendable end) attached to the dipper extension. The hoses are accessed from the closed end, so no need to remove the cylinder from the extension. My only problem is I have no second piece of machinery to remove the dipper extension, so here is what I plan to do: make a stand out of railroad ties high enough to place the dipper in a level (horizontal) position, lay the dipper on the stand (after disconnecting the pin that holds the closed end of the cylinder to the dipper), disconnect hoses, then back up the hoe so that the dipper slides right out, leaving the extension and extension cylinder on the stand. I should be able to put it together by driving the hoe dipper right into the extension, prying as necessary with a pry bar to get exact alignment needed. Has anyone ever done this? It seems like it should work. This is the video:
I've done it a couple times 3.5 to 4.5 hrs. Sorry about the order there in.
This was a 1 man operation and I found it very simple and much more practical than what I seen on U tube. A mechanic told me over the phone how to do it this way over 20 years ago.
Wow, I never thought of that. I do have a couple of questions: How heavy is the cylinder? I'm an old guy and can't lift what I used to, and I'm working alone. Also, when putting the dipper back into the extension is it much trouble lining up the cylinder hole with the hole in the extension? Is there a stop so it automatically lines up?
Well I'm a fairly old guy to but managed so maybe it's heavy but not to heavy ? Before removing the dipper very important make sure the ram is fully retracted you do NOT want to chance bending it. Putting it back together goes fairly easy I had no trouble lining it up to get the pin back in. When you get to that point and if you have trouble just ask & I'll come up with something.
I appreciate your idea. Having no tree on level terrain to use I'll rig up a stand with railroad ties or something. I need to use the loader to do some dirt work this summer and will probably wait a month or so before replacing the hoses, so you may be hearing from me...…………………………….thanks!
I put a stack of pallets on my equipment trailer, then removed the bucket and laid the dipper on the stack (level dipper at this point) and drove the machine straight out....the trailer made for nice walking around surface. Hope you have an equipment trailer?
That sounds like a good idea, but I don't have a trailer yet. I'll rig up something to lay it on.
Nice illustrations. We just took our Super L in for the same problem yesterday. Having hoses replaced and cylinder repacked. I repacked all the others last winter. I can let you know how much you saved doing it yourself when I get the bill
We got our 580 SL back from dealer for ext. hoe hose replacement and cylinder repack. It came out to $1460 parts and labor.
I would guess most of the cost was for the cylinder repack.
not sure. roughly $400 parts and $1000 labor
When I did mine in the spring the 2 hose with Kevlar covers were $160 for the pair and the seal kit was $45. They also told me they take 10 hrs. to do the job.
i know labor was about $1060. the rest was hoses seal kit and tax. Yes 10 hrs labor billed
I replaced hoses about 15 years ago...I stretched everything out...24" bucket on the floor...a drum under the dipper...plugged the disconnected fittings with 37 degree plugs I made, and drove out of the tube...