Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case Transaxle MS 1317 equivalent?

Scottyboy ยท 2013-04-20 16:37

Getting ready to change out the transaxle lube in 580K phase 1. Book calls for Case MS-1317. Do I have to buy the lube from the dealer? I can't find anything other than botique synthetics that are spec'd as replacements for MS-1317. I could have sworn someone (Alrman?, Ando?) on here said 85/140 would be fine, but my memory isin't perfect, and I can't find the post. A Local (former) heavy equipment mechanic says get the 85/140 and some friction modifier from NAPA and I'll be fine. What do you folks think/know?

Replies6
  1. #1alrman2013-04-20 17:56

    85/140 won't do the job. I'm not sure about any friction modifiers that are readily available that would work either. Any other sort of "recommended" oil I have seen for this, is a lot thinner than the Case product. I would recommend going to the dealer on this one.

  2. #2Scottyboy2013-04-20 21:58

    Thanks for the info. Looks like we're going back to the mothership for this juice.

  3. #3sheepfoot2013-04-20 23:46

    The early backhoe's up to the 580E used the 90w gear oil, 580E up to s/n 17032504 used the 85w/140, after s/n 17032504 580E and phase 1 580K used the case trans-axle fluid which was for the wet brake system, it holds between 20-22 qt. Due to the cost of the brake parts, brake adjustments should be done by the book and lube changes are a must at least once a year or more if high hours of use. Also I would only use the case fluid due to issues that may show up with the brake disc material bonding and chatter.

  4. #4Scottyboy2013-04-21 13:33

    Thanks Sheepfoot! That will make a nice searchable answer for the next guy. I wasn't too concerned about the gears - it's a farm hoe, enjoying it's later years often in a pasture. However, I certaintly don't want brake stuff delaminating! The old fluid doesn't look good at all. It has some water in it. Would you flolks recommend a diesel flush, or would that possibly eat at the brake lining glue (if they are glued on)? One thing I have going for me since I don't need the machine daily is time. I could leave it drained for a week with some light heat in it (40 watt drop light?). I don't know how the water got in. It's got a cab. I'll make some room in the shed for it from now on. After replacing one of my tractor's sump lube a few years ago due to water, I'm very careful to keep good shift boots on equipment and store it inside if at all posible.

  5. #5hillbillypilot2025-11-26 23:25

    Does anyone know right off the reminded type of oil for the rear diff oil change for a Case 1997 Series 1 580L? Book shows MS 1317 which was written in the 90s.

  6. #6gggraham2025-11-27 07:24