I have a Case W14 w/ the 336 engine but has a hole through the block. Wondered if a Cummins 3.9 will bolt up as a replacement.
It's been almost a year since your post. Have you done anything with your Loader? A 4BT 3.9 will fit and bolt up if you have a #3 flywheel housing.
It's still on my list for repair and have acquired a 4Bt 3.9 for a replacement engine but have to go pick it up. How do I find the flywheel number? Also the Cummins measures several inches shorter than the Case engine. Other than the flywheel question, what else will need to be addressed? Thanks greatly for your response, it has been a while
I forgot to include the dims for the FH housings The adapter ring I machined. Drew it up on AutoCad and downloaded to the Plasma for the ring portion Used plasma to spot center of the holes. Tried hand drilling and FAILED ..... then used Bridgeport mill with DRO and fit perfectly.
Engine mounting brackets, radiator plumbing. The hydraulic pump mount and drive may be a huge hurdle to resolve.
Tinkerer, It's not all that bad of a job. I used a 1973 Ford pickup radiator and made the support brackets. Used off the shelf hoses to connect everything up. Bent a piece of 8 GA. wire and took it to the auto parts store and found the hoses I needed. As for engine brackets and mounts, the holes lined up well and had to use Dodge body mount bushings for the motor bracket isolators. No OEM stuff available. The hydraulic pump on mine connected to the transmission, therefore there were no issues.
It looks like you did a very nice conversion on your Trojan, Chansey. Your adapter plate and the fact you made it yourself is quite impressive to me. These types of conversions can be easy or hard to do depending on each person's skill level. Unfortunately in KT's situation his hydraulic pump is driven off the front of the crankshaft on the Case 336 engine. The front motor mount is also the the pump mount also. That mount is married to each individual motor at the factory because the bore the pump flange sits in is precision ground, so that the crankshaft and pump driveshaft are in perfect alignment. In KT's loader it would have been a very simple job to just buy a used or rebuilt 336. There were thousands of those engines used in farm tractors, dozers , track loaders and the list goes on. They are readily available in agricultural equipment salvage yards.
Do you know how much the 4BT is going to cost ?? Missed one in Texas for $250. I'm currently building 2 each 5.9 6BT's but I have people asking for the 4BT's all the time. I purchased mine in WI for $1500. It was totally complete. Fired it up before it was installed.
The W14B series used the 5.9 non turbo but there was a power up kit for the straight W14 You might be able to get info from your local Case dealer.