Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case W36 transmission issues

Tony Wells · 2026-06-02 23:03

W36 SN 9159722 Got an oldie in the shop. Doing rear brakes first, but the transmission acts as though it has no neutral position. Makes it a bit dangerous to use, even with brakes. F is about normal, but N feels like a partial engagement of R, while R is about normal. I have not crawled under it to take a look. At this apparent age, I don't believe there is any fancy electronic module running things, so I'm left guessing that it is a linkage or possibly spool valve issue. I have no service data on this machine so would welcome any suggestions or comments about possible causes.

Replies6
  1. #1HeavyTech2026-06-04 20:27

    Possibly bad shift solenoid

  2. #2Coy Lancaster2026-06-26 19:16

    I believe these loaders are cable shift I’d check the adjustment and or condition also check spool detent.

  3. #3Pipevine2026-07-03 12:34

    Sounds like linkage out of adjustment to me

  4. #4Tony Wells2026-07-03 12:58

    Could be but I would think I’d lose F in favor of N, but I have both F and R. N is missing. I’m in Chicago for the weekend and won’t get back to the shop until probably Wednesday.

  5. #5Tyler d4c2026-07-03 18:10

    Ive never been in one of these but could you have a failimg clutch pack thats warped the disc and is trying to pull when in N

  6. #6Tony Wells2026-07-03 19:29

    I hope not, but that sounds plausible.