Hello my name is Don Quicke. I have a 1985 Case w36 wheel loader that belonged to my dad who passed away 2 years ago. I I really need some help, advice. I was moving the machine and used the left brake pedal to stop. When I released the pedal and tried to move the machine would not move. I had no idea what was wrong so I started reading the service book and learned about the brake actuated shut off valve which neutralizes the transmission when the brakes are applied, it was not functioning properly. I spoke to a friend of mine who is a very reputable machinist. He acquired a transmission modulation manual from Clark and told me to bring him the modulator. He took it apart and cleaned everything and replaced one broken spool spring. Installed the modulator, adjusted the control linkages per manuals instructions. Started the machine, forward worked fine but no reverse. We must have went over everything a dozen times checking everything we could, reached the decision to take the modulator back off. He went through it again with another machinist and found nothing wrong. There is transmission fluid leaking from the top of the transmission. I'm thinking that fluid is coming from the charging pump. Could the pump being bad be the cause of no reverse? I am in desperate need of some help, this 37,000-lb monster is sitting in our front yard and my wife is having a fit. Can you guys give me any advice on what I should do? Thank you very much for your time, I greatly appreciate it.
I believe those old machines were cable operated. Have you checked the fnr cable for the proper stroke? Follow the cable to the spool, it should detent in forward, nuetral, and reverse. If ypu have one direction then it's not a pump problem
Thank you, I was wondering about that with the pump.