Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CASE W4 mini loader

LynnTony ยท 2016-12-11 05:21

Can anyone identity the year of manufacture and the engine make and model of the CASE W4 that I just picked up. As it has a CAV diesel injector fuel pump, I assume that it is a Leyland engine. The machine ID tag and the chassis stamp both show 1205320. The engine ID tag shows 18V/738B/ 3290. The engine block has a JAM 2035 moulding. Our CASE dealers in Australia have no information on these machines, I have tried emailing CASE in the USA without success. None of the numbers cross reference with anything, so I would appreciate any information particularly on the engine and where I might source parts. It has a seized engine from over heating, so sourcing rings/bearings/seals/gaskets ect will be my initial task.

Replies19
  1. #1mikebramel2016-12-11 13:32

    Leyland or Mitsubishi for diesel I think

  2. #2RZucker2016-12-11 17:24

    It should be a Leyland. Years back I had a W-4 forklift and replaced the Leyland with a 3 cylinder Deutz. The Leyland was junk. even in the 80s parts were obsolete.

  3. #3LynnTony2016-12-12 04:16

    Thanks Mike, From reading anything that I can find online, it looks like the earlier models had Leyland engines (maybe 1.8 Lt) and the later ones had Mitsubishi. So I am fairly sure that this one has a Leyland engine. Just cannot cross reference any numbers or find anyone who can point me in the right direction.

  4. #4LynnTony2016-12-12 04:37

    Thanks RZucker, Yes I am fairly sure that it is a Leyland. From what you say it sounds like I am flogging a dead horse looking for Leyland parts. I have been told of someone dropping a Perkins engine in a W4. I have only just got this machine and haven't had time to get into it yet. I was hoping to just do the existing engine up without having to adapt another engine. I may have to start thinking along these lines though. A deutz would be air cooled I guess? Would you have the engine model details? How hard was it to fit?

  5. #5RZucker2016-12-12 21:10

    Oh boy, its been 20 years since I did that. I don't remember the model of Deutz but it was smaller than the 913 series and had the oil cooler on top. It was a bit taller than the Leyland, I think I added 2.5" to the old radiator guard and the pump cover under the seat. Engine mounts were easy to fabricate, and the engine was equipped with an adaptor flywheel housing that the hydrostat pump bolted right up to. The engine was purchased new as an industrial hydraulic power unit replacement from a Deutz dealer. Hope that all helps.

  6. #6excavator2016-12-12 21:44

    I also have a W4 with a bad engine and know of 1 other, both Leylands. Go to www.casece.com you might have to choose US parts, they have a parts catalog online that you can download. It says Leyland 1.8L up to ser. number 1205401 and Mitsubishi 2.1L 1205402 and beyond. I just don't know if mine is worth repowering, was going to make a forklift out of it but it's pretty rough.

  7. #7LynnTony2016-12-13 00:19

    Thanks RZucker, I'll keep the Deutz option open and see what other info comes in aswell.

  8. #8LynnTony2016-12-13 01:02

    Thanks excavator, Its not sounding good for Leyland engines. I am having problems loging in to Case Equipment, I have emailed them previously but they didn't bother replying. I guess they saw it as a waste of their time. Have you established if they would have parts to suit the Leyland engines or if they have any detailed info on reto-fitting a Mitsubishi or different engine? Are there any other parts suppliers that you know of who are familiar the W4? Mine is in very good order other than needing some welding repairs on the 4 in 1 bucket. Its still very serviceable. If I decide to pull the engine down, the rings/bearings probably won't be too difficult to find. However things like head gaskets might be a problem. I guess vintage car restorers have the same issues, so there must be someone out there who makes non genuine replacements. Any clues?

  9. #9thepumpguysc2016-12-13 05:34

    LT, If you can get me some #'s off the tag on the injection pump, I might be able to narrow down the engine model.. CAV was real good about listing which pump model, fit which engine..

  10. #10LynnTony2016-12-13 23:50

    Thanks pumpguy, that would be much appreciated if you could do that. The information off the injector pump tag is as follows - CAV DPA DSA 3247F260 / (This may be just a mark) SERIAL R53665TX MOD (No info recorded) A21E600/0/3480 The engine tag number is 18V/738B/D 3290. JAM 2035 is moulded into the block. The machine ID tag and chassis number are both 1205320.

  11. #11LynnTony2016-12-13 23:58

    pumpguy, the text rearranged itself differently to what I posted. So where you see DSA and the forward slash (/) below it, they are separate from the DPA numbers. May or may not make any difference.

  12. #12thepumpguysc2016-12-14 00:42

    The only thing it says is>>Equipment: BLMC 1.8 J.I. Case Industrial Application: BLMC 1800 Injection Pump X-reff.. Leyland JAM 1865 I hope this helps some.. TPG

  13. #13LynnTony2016-12-14 02:52

    Thanks TPG, but at this point I'm not sure what to make of this info. BLMC 1800 may be British Leyland something, something 1.8 litre. Have no idea what J.I might be. The JAM number doesn't match mine. Still doesn't identify the engine model. Maybe someone else who is familiar with these engines can shed some more light on it. Thanks again LT

  14. #14thepumpguysc2016-12-14 07:02

    Its a Leyland 1.8L The CASE CO = J.I. CASE.. Maybe British Leyland Motor Company??

  15. #15LynnTony2016-12-14 17:09

    Yes it seems to be a Leyland 1.8 Lt engine alright and that looks like a pretty reasonable guess regarding the British Leyland Motor Company to. Just need to identify the engine model now and where to source parts. I seem to have a knack for finding machines that are difficult to find parts for. I have just finished doing up an International McCormick A554 tractor front end loader. The "A" stands for Australian. These were made in Australia until the late 50's or 60's. The US parent company decided that they wanted all of the manufacturing done in the USA, so they closed all of the Australian factories over night and had all of the manuals and design specification ect dumped into skip bins and then destroyed. Fortunately there is an International Tractor Club in Australia, so at least I could talk to others who have one. I wonder if there is a CASE Tractor Club? Thanks again for you trouble TPG

  16. #16FieldMechanic892016-12-14 17:46

    Make a list of parts you need, I can do some digging for parts, I've can get service manual for the w4 and one of the engine if you need it

  17. #17LynnTony2016-12-15 00:22

    Thanks FieldMechanic89, I have a service manual that lists 5 engine numbers but not mine. I imagine that the other engine models are simular, but there must be some differences. If you can find a manual that references engine ID plate number 18V/738B/D 3290 I would be interested. I would also be interested in an owner/operators manual. In relation to parts, if I decide to recondition the existing engine I would still need to establish the correct engine model so that all of the required parts can be correctly identified before ordering. So I am still hoping that someone will be able to identify the actual engine model. In relation to an entire engine, can you provide some more details? Do you know if it will definitely fit my W4, what condition is it in and what is its history? The other thing is, Virginia is a long way from Australia. Any idea what it might cost to ship an engine from there? Thanks for all of your efforts.

  18. #18FieldMechanic892016-12-16 19:08

    I have the owner/operator manual and if you have the 18v/738b/d460 that is the correct one for that engine..and I meant service manual for the engine not an actual engine its self - sorry for the mix up

  19. #19LynnTony2016-12-16 19:29

    No worries, I imagine there are some differences between W4 models, would your owner/operator manual cover my W4? If it covers my W4, how much do you want for it including postage? In relation to my service manual, one of the 5 engine numbers referenced in the section on engines, ends in 460. Are you saying that this manual is the correct one for my engine number which ends in 3290? ie : 460 is the same as 3290.