A couple of years ago I was grading the farm road and I lost all clutch, slipping where it wouldn't move. After playing with the gears for a minute it decided to start working again for about 5 minutes with no slipping until it stopped moving again. I put it in reverse and it had enough grab with the clutch pedal fully released to back off the road at a snails pace. Well, after sitting for two years I managed to get the pony motor up and running with help from this forum and I put into first gear and off it went grading with no slipping for 40 minutes and out of no where it started slipping. I could have stopped to reverse and then put into 1st gear and then there was no clutch, I didn't take note. I do have to lower the idle down to get it into gear or it grinds. Even at its lowest idle it still grinds but will eventually go into gear. Has anyone experienced this issue before or know what might be causing this to happen? Thanks,
Sounds like the facings on the disk are breaking up and getting stuck in places where they shouldn't be. Maybe the linkages inside the clutch itself are sticky or broken. Time to pull the engine and dig that clutch, pressure plate and flywheel out for repair or replacement. It's not a very big job on the older graders with manual transmissions. I did a couple of them in the eighties.
Thanks for the help, I was hoping that it would be a simple fix. Pulling the motor sounds like a big job. I don't have that type of equipment either. I think I'll spray it all down with WD-40 or some better type of lubricant and hope it unfreeze whatever is sticking if anything is sticking. I'll give that about a 1 percent chance of working. The clutch is most likely broke, breaking apart at the minimum very little pad left. Thank you again.
Thanks for the help, I was hoping that it would be a simple fix. Pulling the motor sounds like a big job. I don't have that type of equipment either. I think I'll spray it all down with WD-40 or some better type of lubricant and hope it unfreeze whatever is sticking if anything is sticking. I'll give that about a 1 percent chance of working. The clutch is most likely broke, breaking apart at the minimum very little pad left. Thank you again.
If you pull the engine, keep track of and don’t lose the shims between the bottom of the engine oil pan and the differential housing if it has any