Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 120H help

Legdoc ยท 2025-05-30 00:26

A friend is looking at purchasing a 120H Sn:6yn0024 that is about 5 hours away to inspect before purchase. Not being familiar with the machine I have a few questions. 1. Is this a common rail engine? 2. How much electronics are on the machine? Does it have a ECM? 3. What are the weak spots to look at? Thank you in advance.

Replies4
  1. #1Nige2025-06-01 12:52

    The Serial Number is missing a digit after the 6YN. there should be 5 digits, not 4. The engine is a 3116. It has mechnical unit injectors, not a common rail injection system. The only electronics on the machine are the transmission FNR shifter and the transmission controller that are common to all the H-Series graders.

  2. #2Legdoc2025-06-01 21:30

    Nige, my mistake! The SN. is 6yn00224. I appreciate your help. I will probably be making the trek with my friend to inspect the machine this week. How problematic is the tranny controls? Thank you!

  3. #3Nige2025-06-01 22:15

    I would say that the shifter assembly and the transmission control have been around for over 25 years so should be pretty bulletproof by now, but there can always be the exception that rpoves the rule. TBH on a machine the age of this one (built May 2001) there is more chance of wiring problems to the transmission solenoids than anything else. The insulation gets hard with heat and can fail, leading to short circuits, etc.

  4. #4Legdoc2025-06-01 22:53

    Nige I really appreciate your help. If all works out this will be the first Cat (non feline) in the family.