Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 12E d333 engine how to remove cam

Mountainmover · 2019-04-25 18:14

Hi. I have a cat 12E. I have the hood, radiator, etc all off of the engine bay. What is needed to remove the engine cam? Any special tools or pullers? I can pull the rest of the engine block if needed but what’s involved? Remove the back(front if was in a bulldozer) cover and drive it out with a hammer handle from opposite end? Any tips? Thanks so much.

Replies1
  1. #1kshansen2019-04-25 19:35

    A few things to start with I hope you were joking about driving it out with a hammer handle! First thing I would be doing is locating an actual Cat service manual to save having to ask a thousand questions. Those points said. You need to remove valve cover and then rocker arm assembly and push rods. Then make a hook out of a wire coat hanger and hook on to the lifters and pull them out. Been too long so not sure on the D333 if the holes in the head are big enough to get the lifters out. Might be able to just use wire to hold them up out of the way. Next I would be removing the oil pan and timing cover. Removing the timing cover will mean removing the front engine mount. Front of engine is the end close to the radiator. Not sure what else might be connected to that timing cover, water pump?, generator? and so on. Once the cover is off the cam is held in by a thrust washer bolted to the front of the engine block. Hope if you get that far you understand timing marks and the need to have the fuel pump timed to the engine gear train. This is why I strongly suggest finding a proper manual. As even if you get the old one out getting the new one back in and everything lined up and bolts torqued valves adjusted are just a few of the steps you have to keep in mind. Having said all this some of the other first questions would be why? Do you know the cam in there is bad? Or are you taking it out to sell to someone who needs it. I could come up with a few more but that should give you a point to start.