Looking for wisdom about the shear pins that allow power transfer from transfer case to the control box on Hanna, my 12F grader, protecting the control box components from being over-stressed. I think the original P/N is 6D1754. These show up on eBay for about $3.00 each (shipping to Canada for $46.45!!!). The old fellow from whom I purchased Hanna used a soft bolt. I am not sure if he used grade 5 or lower--grade 1 or 2. I have gone through at least a half-dozen Grade 5 bolts, so they definitely shear just fine. But I don't want to stress the system. Bolts cost less than $0.20 each... Any sage advice in the community? Many thanks!
6D1754 is still readily available in the Cat parts system. Are you saying the bolts shear too easily?
Thanks, Cmark. My concern is whether they shear easily enough... I don't want to create issues for the control box gears and pinions! Also, here in Canada, all Cat parts come via Finning. This seems to add at least an arm, if not an arm and a leg, to the pricing...
Just checked with Cat/Finning. They have the pins listed for CDN$7.18 each. What is not at all clear is whether that is the price for 10 pins--which would be a fair price--or the price for individual pins, which would be an arm and a leg price. I've made an order and so will see what I end up receiving. The image on the order page shows 10 pins with a red square around them. So I presume that I should get 10 and will be positively impressed if I do.
I think you might be disappointed. The shipping weight appears to be 0.03 Kg which sounds more like 1 than 10 to me.
They're just wee little things. But I suspect you're right. If so, it is very much misleading advertising on the website. Stay tuned.
Did you not ask when you placed the order?
Do they go through that many pins? I ran a 14E, and never cut one off, unless the Es didn't have one.
I did ask. And was assured that I would get a box of 10 shear pins. So we will see.
I find this winter that turning the circle in some conditions sheared the pins. As soon as things dry up a bit I will be doing some sleuthing to make sure that all circle adjustments and etc. are as they should be. But I went through 5 shear pins on one excursion plowing snow. Last few plowing runs did not shear any. So it might mostly be my inexperience. The shear pin connects a drive shaft coming up from the transmission/transfer case to a drive shaft going into the central control box. There is an access cover right between the clutch and brake pedals. It takes about a minute to replace a shear pin. The shear pin ensures that the torque from the drive shaft does not do damage to the central control box components if something binds up further down the system. At least that is my understanding...
I would be on the lookout for other issues. Seems excessive to me.
Seems really excessive to me. Imagine if you were doing heavy earthwork.
Fair enough. But I need to eliminate the relatively easy stuff in my diagnosing. I am hoping that there is not an issue in the control box. And it is all too easy by way of the circle for an inexperienced operator (i.e., me) to put the moldboard in an impossible bind--in which case it is far better to shear the pin than break a gear or pinion in the control box. But my winter experience suggests there is more going on. So I will be sleuthing.
If you put a hard bolt in, you might find the problem faster though........ little summer project????? I assume it just cuts off when you are rotating the circle.... try and take note if it is always in the same position. I said before on another post you had, that I don't have much experience with Cat besides the old 14E. I do know that you want a fairly even meshing of your rotational gears. You probably won't be doing too much fine grading, so up and down play is not too critical, but something messing up your circular rotation might be messing up your teeth.
Thanks, cuttin edge. You are describing my course of action over the coming weeks. Save the hard bolt suggestion...
Does anybody else use this road that you're grading? If so, they should be available to help you diagnose this just saying. It would be very helpful to have someone move the lever while you listened and watched after you gave them some training. So much of this stuff is easier to do with two people just the diagnostic.
I have two tenants who have cabins on the property. We are the only ones. But I have a buddy who is an ace heavy equipment repair guy. When I get to serious diagnosing, he is happy to help. I'll let the forum know what I find out.
I've seen shear pin holes get egged out and then you can get impact loading on the pin. Those old knuckle busters can have slop in the shaft couplers, ball joints and linkages.