Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 130G Military Rebuild

Chris91786 ยท 2009-05-11 20:25

We are doing some rebuilds for the CAT Defense program. They are 130g's. We have to convert them from jic to orfs. This is the first one. It's from Camp Blanding in Starke, FL. I didn't have my camera at work when we started the tear down process. I'll post more pics as the machine moves along:

Replies14
  1. #1Grouser2009-05-13 23:10

    These are great pics Chris keep em coming. I like seeing the stripped down version. Are they heading to the sandbox?

  2. #2Chris917862009-05-14 19:40

    Nah, these ones are from the local Army/National Guard base. Every now and then we get some that go over seas. Honeywell Technologies used to be a big supplier of military machines that needed rebuilds then sent overseas, but I think the contract we had expired and won't be re-newed for a couple months

  3. #3JGamble2009-05-14 21:02

    Gents, Ahhh....the venerable USMC/USAR 130G CAT. I have been running these tractors now for about 9 years, and been everywhere with them from the swamps of Thailand to the deserts of Southern Iraq. Both the standard version and the version with the Trimble GPS laser leveling system.....outstanding concept, horrible vision, terrible operation...lol. One of the first motor graders I have ever operated [full time] next to a Champion of course.....back to the story. Not a real lover of the front mounted scarifier, not really a viable asset......but hey, cheapest bidder to the government right? Best thing I have to say? :From a government employee, there is enough cab room to sleep in and stretch out and sleep during breaks and over nights in the field....lol. Hopefully uncle sam stays smart and keeps the numerous stick setup and never upgrades to that nasty joystick design. Thanks for this post, it keeps a smile on this old salts face..... Kind Regards, Sgt. John Gamble USMC 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit

  4. #4Chris917862009-05-14 21:37

    I couldn't see the military going to the M series graders because of the possibility or of the electrionic systems being taken out in warfare. And yea, they have the GPS auto grade system on it, and it is a pos lol

  5. #5Buckethead2009-05-14 22:37

    Thank you for your service, John!

  6. #6Tex34062009-05-15 08:15

    What don't they like about JIC? ORFS work very well, but I wouldn't have thought it was worth converting from one to the other. Is it to get all their machinery on the same hydraulic fittings type? I have always thought JIC to be quite good. Seems a lot of hassle. Are they early G models? The 12G graders I have worked on had ORFS fittings, but maybe they were of later production.

  7. #7Chris917862009-05-15 21:40

    I really don't know why they want to convert them, I think it's kinda wierd. The machines are early-mid 80's G series.

  8. #8Chris917862009-05-28 21:50

    Got some more pics to post tomorrow

  9. #9Chris917862009-05-29 17:24

    Here's some more

  10. #10Chris917862009-05-29 17:26

    I got 2 more from today, but it says I have to wait 5 mins

  11. #11Chris917862009-05-29 17:32

    These are from today:

  12. #12Chris917862009-05-31 21:01

    Gonna crank it tomorrow

  13. #13toledo2013-04-03 11:18

    Quote Dear Sir, I am interested in buying some Caterpillar motor graders. I hope your quote [email protected]

  14. #14toledo2013-04-03 11:21

    130G, 120G, 140G, 12G. Dear Sir, I am interested in buying some Caterpillar bulldozers. I hope your quote [email protected]