Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 140H, sluggish transmission

Jvdw ยท 2014-02-18 04:11

I have a Cat 140H, and every morning the operator lifts the machine and select a gear and let it run for about 10 - 15min. after that the machine will operate all day. I had Barlows to check pressures, and I replaced the pump, the press. were ok, now I need to find answers??

Replies3
  1. #1Cmark2014-02-18 05:16

    You're saying that you need to let it run for 10 min before it will select a gear, right? If so, it sounds like you may have a leak on the suction line which is making the tranny pump take a long time to prime. There's a hose going from the screen housing to a steel line with a hose clamp at both ends and also a couple of O rings where the steel line goes into the diff housing. All these are possible air entry points. I'd check these first. What's your ambient temp?

  2. #2Nige2014-02-18 05:44

    Second CM's suggestion. Also if the grader has no transmission guard that suction tube can easily get whacked. As a result it can get crushed or even crack. Even if it does have a guard the gurad can get beaten upwards until it hits the suction tube. There could be your air leak. When Barlows came out to the machine did you leave it overnight so they could see the 10 minute symptoms for themselves or was it already running...?

  3. #3Jvdw2014-02-18 06:00

    Thanks for the info, I will try that