Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 140M Blade circle replacement

andrew80 ยท 2013-01-15 06:51

Hello guys: We have this grader and need to change the teeth . I asked a quote to Finning and the cost is US37,500.00 for the complete circle. Does any of you have found an alternative? Like filling the teeth with welding and giving them their shape again. And also, how do you change that? since it`s a whole circle

Replies24
  1. #1leachrod2013-01-15 07:06

    I have never changed this before, I would think the teeth are welded in and can be cut out and new ring installed. You could google it and see if this is possible.

  2. #2rsherril2013-01-15 07:32

    How 'bout that for incentive to grease the teeth.

  3. #3leachrod2013-01-15 07:36

    LOL !!! Looking a little dry. I was thinking same thing

  4. #4Darksidelogger2013-01-15 10:02

    I don't know if they make them specifically for the tooth pattern on the 140m or if they are the same but I have purchased replacement teeth for our 14G. They come in 7 tooth sections and have to be welded into position, they are available from cat and the aftermarket. Be Very careful as to their final position cause if they are not right it won't spin free and will bind in certain positions. The teeth at the front seem to wear the most and last time we had to do 4 sections or 32 teeth.

  5. #5mitch5042013-01-15 14:05

    A good welder could weld them up and grind them back to shape for a lot less than $37,500.

  6. #6truckdoctor2013-01-15 14:11

    The easiest thing to do is replace the teeth segments like Darksidelogger said. Cat makes the segments and a pattern to help install them in the right place. It's not that hard to resegment the circle but again like Darksidelogger said you want to makes sure that they are welded in where they need to be or you will not be able to shim the circle tight because the pinion will bind in the high spots. Also I believe Cat makes a pinion cover that has a grease hose attached to it to grease the pinion gear.

  7. #7Per Eriksson2013-01-15 16:56

    Holy ****, that thing is bone dry...... What kind of wear does it have besides the teeth being shot to hell, like the wear blocks, side shift on the blade e.t.c.? I can email you the procedure to replace the teeth from CAT as a pdf document,it has part numbers and everything else needed.

  8. #8smoothoperator2013-01-17 00:07

    What in the world is the history of this machine??? The wear is way beyond just "lack of grease". Hard to say from the pictures, but it looks like the circle teeth are too far from the pinion teeth. Did the wear inserts shatter and allow the circle to get that far out of adjustment? I've been around motorgraders for a long time, and I've never seen "wear" that bad. Someone please explain how this happens. smoothoperator......waiting

  9. #9andrew802013-01-17 06:35

    I`ve been in this company for 2 months, so I`m beginning to find the problems. This grader is from 2010. Last year the pinion was changed (it broke down) and was replaced. About the pinion, it seems right what Smoothoperator says. Haven`t been on site but for the pics you can see the pinion is far from the circle. I got another quotation from Finning for a used circle, cost US16,000.00 plus shipping and custom costs to Chile. I asked them about teeth segments and they said "no, we dont sell segments". So I think the option is to weld each teeth and give them the shape again

  10. #10leachrod2013-01-17 06:47

    Looks like an Oklahoma machine, Leachrod tool can install edges but this machine need whole circle

  11. #11Nige2013-01-18 14:06

    That's B...S.... Segments are available for your machine and pretty much everything else in the Caterpillar Grader range. The segments listed for your machine are Part Number 5T-4267 (a quite old number) so they must have been around for a while. You will need 5 of them. Tell Finning to print you out a copy of Caterpillar Special Instruction SEHS7268 entitled "Installation of Circle Repair Segments For Certain Motor Graders". In my Parts Store they show as $235 each and are available in Cat's Regional Warehouse in Miami. Which Finning Branch are you dealing with ..? Maybe I know someone there (I worked for the company for 9 years) and need to give them a call along with an ear-bashing. If you get no joy from Finning PM me an e-mail address and I'll send you the above-referred instructions.

  12. #12Per Eriksson2013-01-18 16:00

    Is there an Echo in here

  13. #13rsherril2013-01-19 07:57

    Could this be the result of severe operator abuse? High speed impacts with that immovable object, rotating the circle with the blade down hard. Repeat often and never look back.

  14. #14rare ss2013-01-20 01:10

    the clutch in the circle drive motor should stop that from happening, unless it had been shimmed up too tight (seen that before) my guess is the circle drive has been WAY out for WAY too long

  15. #15RayF2013-01-20 07:56

    I've seen plenty cut out on a profile cutter and new sections welded in. These days they just buy the new segments. Very common job.

  16. #16andrew802013-02-01 08:01

    Do you guys know what type of welding to use? I mean electrode type

  17. #17Nige2013-02-01 11:08

    I have e-mailed you the Special Instruction for welding - REHS1841, that is referred to on page 2 of the procedure for replacement of the circle segments. With no specific requirements actually within the document for replacement of the segments I would say that E7018 electrodes would be more than acceptable. You just need to be careful to avoid distortion when welding in the new segments. After the circle is repaired & installed back on the machine you need to be very careful about adjusting it correctly. As many have already pointed out it was most likely a lack of (or incorrectly done) adjustment that caused the wear in the first place.

  18. #18qchizek2013-02-16 12:01

    We replace the segments as needed with Harden Steel harder then OEM CAT. We also have a Exchange circle for a 140M...Quentin at H E Poly....

  19. #19qchizek2013-02-16 12:03

    Owner We have a 140M replacement circle in stock that is New CAT take off.... [email protected]

  20. #20Pipelinemech2013-02-17 10:19

    You can buy weld in teeth inserts like nige said. Also weller Tractor out of great bend kansas has used and rebuilt circles ususually if you just want to swap it out.

  21. #21andrew802013-06-25 16:24

    Ok guys, we just removed the circle. Here are pics (segments included). In the following weeks I will post the work. PD.: We cant use grease on circle since it will be worst (particles and grease will be more abrasive)

  22. #22Nige2013-06-25 18:04

    What did Finning Parts Dept say when you told them what Part Number you wanted, after previously telling you that a new circle was required ..? That must have been an interesting conversation. For lubricant on circles try Cat Dry Film Lubricant (P/N 242-6990). Other lubricant manufacturers also do dry-type graphite based lubricants that are great on circles where you can't put grease.

  23. #23andrew802013-06-26 13:14

    I got the segments somewhere else. Took a pic and sent it to cat dudes and they were to say the least shocked. I told them each segment cost 200 bucks instead of 35,000.00 bucks they were offering for the complete circle. Haven't heard a word since then

  24. #24andrew802013-07-04 10:31

    Hola otra vez So here you have the pics with the job done Now is ready to put it back and going to next step.........the brakes........