Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat

charlie ยท 2010-05-08 00:07

I recently bought a cat 3304pc basket case motor with the intent of building it and selling it . What are your thoughts about this motor , is there a need out there for this . Its going to need alot of machine work and parts to get it built. Thanx for your advice. Charlie

Replies4
  1. #1INDREM2010-05-08 12:05

    Do not build anything right now unless you have a buyer. An engine can cost a lot of money to rebuild depending on how particular you are. This is not a good time to sell rebuilds. Most shops that I talk to aren't building up components unless it is something they are positive they will turn. It is dog eat dog right now and some businesses are letting components they have go for nothing. Not good if you are selling the same part. Try selling the core and making a profit if you can. You don't want to put all the time and money into a rebuild for it to sit for two years. My best advice would be to find out how much it will cost you to rebuild. Then have a purchase order or check before you build it.

  2. #22stickbill2010-05-08 13:52

    Yes check prices at a Dealer for a reman.Some remans sell for less the you can rebuild and with a great warranty.

  3. #3charlie2010-05-09 00:02

    rebuild Thanx for the posts guys I'll have to do some more homework before I get too serious about this . I did buy a parts manual on evilbay so I'll be able to get some prices on some parts. I did get this motor really cheap but it has a broken crank.

  4. #4V16CatMetKanick2010-06-17 22:03

    it would be a great motor to learn on, but you can buy a Reman cheaper than you can rebuild it. what i would do is tear it down, reassemble it then send it to the scrap yard.i wouldnt sink alot of money into it because its really a throw-away motor like the 3208's. another thought is if you want to build a mud truck or rock crawler, that would be a great powerplant to use if you rebuild it.