Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 215 Excavator brake release lines disconnected

falgra ยท 2019-01-23 21:17

I recently purchased a CAT 215 Excavator in the 95Z1 serial space so early 80s, seems to run, but one track seems to not move well. I noticed that both brakes have their brake release line disconnected, and the elbow on the brake itself is plugged. Nothing seems to be sealing the lines themselves and nothing appears to come out of the lines when running as I would expect since from what I understand those lines pressurize and release the brakes upon movement. What I am wondering is the working track working much stronger because its' brake is simply weak, and the other has a strong brake causing it to move slowly? Before I go reconnecting things I am curious if any of you veterans in the ex world know if disconnecting the brake release lines is a common shade tree fix you have come across? I have to run the working track back and forth moving in an arch to advance forward or backward which as one could imagine is less than ideal/fun. Any insight is appreciated!

Replies4
  1. #1Theweldor2019-01-23 21:22

    Sounds as though something is wrong. I would lean toward seals on the brakes and possibly some hard parts as well.

  2. #2kshansen2019-01-25 12:13

    Not familiar with that machine but if it at least explains how the brake "should work" I'm attaching the page from Systems Operations on the track brakes.

  3. #3kshansen2019-01-25 12:17

    And if you want to dig deeper here's the "Disassembly and Assembly" instructions.

  4. #4kshansen2019-01-25 12:20

    What the heck you might need to check on the valve that controls those brakes to so here's the remove and install on that!