Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 215B LC final drive part number the same as 215C ?

ksliger ยท 2025-12-06 19:10

Greetings, I'm considering the purchase of a 1986 Cat 215B LC excavator SN 9YB01651. It has one bad final drive, and I'm looking around to find a potential replacement for it. I have found a 215C that is being parted out not too far from me. Could someone please let me know if the final drives are the same part number across these two models? According to the parts book for the 215B, the final drive group number is 8V-5917. Thanks in advance!

Replies11
  1. #1Nige2025-12-06 19:16

    Final drives on 9YB01651 are 8V-5917 if that's any use to you. With the S/N of the 215C that's being parted out I could 100% confirm it.

  2. #2ksliger2025-12-06 19:25

    Thanks Nige, I'll do my best to get it.

  3. #3ksliger2025-12-07 17:49

    The seller says the SN is 4H600656.

  4. #4Nige2025-12-07 18:35

    It's actually 4HG00656, but it's close enough for this class of agriculture......... Confirmed the finals are 8V-5917, so they will fit the 215B LC

  5. #5Tones2025-12-07 19:18

    Hitachi excavators of this vintage had different gearing for their long undercarriage machines compared to the conventional finals. Did Cat do the same?

  6. #6ksliger2025-12-07 19:25

    Thank you!

  7. #7Nige2025-12-07 19:58

    It would be a different Part Number if that was the case, and everything I can see says the finals from both machines are the same Part Number.

  8. #8Welder Dave2025-12-08 00:46

    Would a relatively small excavator like a 215 even have a long undercarriage option?

  9. #9Tones2025-12-08 01:53

    IIIRC they did as did Hitachi and Komatsu at that time. No planetary hubs then either.

  10. #10Welder Dave2025-12-08 02:18

    If so would have to see if the finals are different.

  11. #11Gary Layton2025-12-08 12:41

    Awesome work helping this fellow get a 39 year old excavator working right!!