Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 216 won’t start

Ryeguye46 · 2023-09-09 18:14

Good afternoon, I’m new to this so excuse any typos. I have a 216 cat skid steer that will not start. I’ve changed the fuel shut off solenoid in hopes it was the issue. It was not. Check fuel delivery which I get and it get to where it wants to start and then doesn’t. Any info would be great! Thanks in advance.

Replies6
  1. #1Chrisso2023-09-09 18:47

    Please elaborate on how you checked the fuel delivery side of things and we’ll go from there. If it’s a mechanical pump there’s probably a screen inside that that rarely gets checked. Will need your machine serial number to be sure. Just to confirm it cranks but doesn’t start correct? Cranking speed sounds ok?

  2. #2Ryeguye462023-09-15 00:42

    Hey so I apologize for the delay in replying I was able to get it all fixed and running. Turns out the mechanical fuel priming pump was blocked and could not feed diesel through. Cleaned the filter inside the pump and she started right up and ran amazing. Thanks for your help/time. Take care!

  3. #3Chrisso2023-09-15 05:31

    Good work. Not many people know it's there. Highly recommend fitting a little inline filter before that mechanical transfer pump if there's not already one fitted.

  4. #4Ryeguye462023-09-16 19:25

    I will do so I have a ton of those small in line filters, and they are just a piece of mind. Will fit one in between tank and primer pump.

  5. #5Nige2023-09-17 03:42

    Make sure that the one you fit is rated for diesel. A lot of them are only suitable for gasoline.

  6. #6Ryeguye462023-09-19 15:23

    Yes I have got the diesel rated ones from a nearby industrial store. They are bigger and stronger than the gasoline ones. Thanks again everyone! So glad I was able to get it running and on the way! Cheers!