Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 226 Chattering/ No lift power

Highridge · 2020-07-29 20:56

Hi Folks I have early 2000s Cat 226. Recently had the floor plate out to check the ECM for another issue(fun). The other day went to use the machine and it wont lift any more weight than the bucket itself and the hydraulics are chattering for every function other than the wheels. Moves forward/ reverse just fine. I'm thinking maybe a check valve or relief valve but not sure what valve is what under the cab. Any thoughts?

Replies7
  1. #1seville0092020-07-30 07:31

    Is the hydraulic fluid full?

  2. #2Highridge2020-07-30 08:12

    It was slightly below the sight glass so I don’t think it was that. Also changed the hydraulic filter for good measure.

  3. #3seville0092020-07-30 14:27

    Maybe you have air in the hydraulic system - bad seal somewhere maybe. HeavyEquipmentForums

  4. #4heymccall2020-07-30 20:57

    Anytime I've encountered chattering hydraulics (3 times in 28 years), it has always been bad barrels in the variable displacement pump. And the bad barrels always lost their brass slipper shoes. Cut open the hydraulic filter and you'll, most likely, find brass.

  5. #5Highridge2020-07-31 14:55

    Thanks for the advice. I’ll cut the old filter open tomorrow and check it out. Also going to check the relief valves. Does anyone know what one is the main valve it looks there are 3 or 4.

  6. #6Mark2502020-07-31 19:24
  7. #7Nige2020-08-01 04:07

    I'd not start fiddling with relief valves until after cutting the filter open (HMC's recommendation post #5) if I were in your shoes.