Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 226C no crank condition

Michael J Chase ยท 2022-10-19 09:54

Hello folks, I'm new to this group, I have a problem with a Cat 226C, S/N 226C5FZ09263. This machine turns on fine, dash lights up normally, seat and armrest lights go out when operated, no flashing lights, but, alarm sounds. Nothing happens when the key is turned to the start position, fuses all test good, I found the interlock and start solenoids in the engine compartment, if I bypass the interlock relay the engine does crank. I have been unable to find a schematic for this machine, and as it has a interlock ecm, a schematic would be a great help, as I hope someone here will be. any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Replies4
  1. #1Nige2022-10-19 11:14

    I'll send you a schematic. Keep an eye on your messages.

  2. #2Nige2022-10-19 11:26

    BTW, your machine is not a 226C. It is in fact a very late "A" model. The "C" between 226 and 5FZ09263 is a random digit put there by the factory to try to prevent cloning of Product Identification plates. There never was a "C" model. The progression went 226->226B->226B3->226D3.

  3. #3Michael J Chase2022-10-19 12:41

    Well, That make sense, and explains why schematic enquiries have gone unanswered. Thank you for clearing that up.

  4. #4Nige2022-10-19 13:15

    This explains the 17-digit Product Identification Number better. When ordering parts all you need to worry about are the last 8 characters, aka Serial Number. 1. Caterpillar World Manufacturing Code (characters 1 - 3) 2. Machine descriptor (characters 4 - 8) 3. Check character (character 9) 4. Product Sequence Number (characters 10 - 17). These characters were previously referred to as the Serial Number.