Just picked up a Cat 232B skid loader, I found the duct from the air filter to the turbo had come loose after the operator said it was hard to start. While trying to start it, there was plenty of black smoke. Once I finally got it started it ran with white exhaust smoke. Any good starting points to hopefully get it up running quickly?
Was it low powered when running. Sounds like a nearly completely plugged air filter or an obstruction in the intake. Had field mice completely plug one on me one time by eating the end of the dust cup and crawling in.
The operator just said that it had less and less power and was harder and harder to start, but no idea what the power was at when the issue started. I asked how long had this been going on, reply, two weeks. The turbo was pulling in unfiltered air, the duct from the air filter was disconnected right at the turbo. Tech I talk to said we would have to pull the engine, just was wanted to know what options or troubleshooting I could do before we take that be leap.
Um, oil sample, blow-by check, glow plugs/grid heater (and/or timer), compression test (bench test injectors while you have them out) just to name a few. No reason to pull engine if it ain't broke.
232 back at the house. After a cleanup and check out. Heavy blow-by and low compression on one cylinder. Sad to think that with 1350 hours, a simple duct coming off is going to cost some big bucks. Thanks for all the help guys. Any recommended reman shops that might have one instock, seems to be a few out there, big range in prices too. Any to avoid? Need to get back to work asap.
Er, um...is that a Perkins?? If so....... HeavyEquipmentForums
It's a Cat C2.2 (small print Perkins Shibaura)