The rear main seal is leaking on our cat 235 excavator. What's the best way to change? Take out motor or pull pumps and pump gear box..... Anyone have any suggestions? We put this motor in it last year (used motor) so we have had that out before just looking at it and it seems maybe would be easier to pull pumps and leave motor and radiator and stuff all alone. Thanks guys. Chris
With deeres/hittachis, and cases I pull the pumps. I have never pulled the pumps on a cat but from the ones I have looked at I would pull the pump group to do it.
Can I pull the whole pump group at once or do I have to pull each pump separately?
Should be able to pull it as a group.
Hey Bob if it was a customer machine I'd pull motor and check rods and mains and at least reseal front crank seal while it's out. But pumps are pretty easy to pull. Bell housing bolts drain hydraulic tank, hoses, possibly air filter housing, mounts and hood is about it. Can support rear of engine with a couple chucks of steel from cross member to oil pan bolts. Check pump drive oil before you pull it. once they get some hours they can use seals and bearings