Hello everyone, I have an 04, 236. Both pilot controls are leaking a bit which is driving me crazy. I went to the dealer today to order/buy a seal kit and to my surprise, was informed there is no such thing but they were glad to sell me 2 new joysticks! Any thoughts, ideas or resources for a rebuild kit would be gracious. Thanks, Bob Only 800 hours on the machine..pretty disappointing
There is a pretty decent chance that the control seals on a "O ring" or two. Take it apart, and take any O rings to a hydraulic shop. Or- talk to an ASV/ Terex dealer, I think that they might have used Cat controls in some machines. Bear in mind the controls are not made by Cat. My Terex dealer has been great on this kind of stuff.
I spoke with a mechanic that has replace quite a few and he told me the kits (when they were available) came with cup rings and new brass fittings. It sounded as the rubber cup rings are what is used and not o-rings. No terex or asv dealer here unfortunately. Thanks for your response
This might give you a bit of insight, it shows some photos of disassembled Cat skid-steer joystick valves, I'm just not sure how much commonality there is between your joysticks and the ones pictured here. I just checked in the system. Without knowing your exact Serial Number it does appear as though there are repair kits available for some but possibly not all the joysticks on a 236. For instance the parts drawing in the thread that I attached appears to be the exact same one that goes into a 236 joystick for the speed & direction control. Kits are available for that one, or so it appears.
Thanks Nige, I'm checking with another dealer in the state and they are telling me the kit is likely available. Just haven't heard back yet. SN on the machine is 00236e4yz06937 if it helps. New joysticks are a bit pricey. I don't mind buying them if I have too but it makes more sense to spend a $100 on parts to rebuild then $1200 to replace.
For Serial Number 4YZ06937 the Speed/Direction Pilot Valve is a 204-1400. There are the following repair kits available for it: - 217-3850 - Universal Joint kit (includes u/joint & shims) 289-8451 - Plunger Kit (2 required) 289-9560 - Pilot Valve Kit (upper) 151-4965 - Pilot Valve Kit (Lower) The Work Tool Pilot Valve is a 204-1399. Here are the kits: - 289-8440 - Universal Joint kit (includes u/joint & shims) 8U-9427 - Plunger Kit (3 required) 203-1100 - Plunger Kit 9T-2837 - Seal Kit If you go the repair route then I suggest you read Willie's "How To" guide in the other thread.
Thanks Nige. I went to the cat dealer today and spoke with a mechanic who quickly informed me the parts guy didn't know what he was talking about. He took me to the parts department and we ordered all the parts for both sides. For the record, the control valves are $790.00 each and the rebuild parts are about $500.00 each. I have a certified cat mechanic that is going to help me install the new parts. Thanks for all of your help. Bob
Maybe too late but get the parts on a "sale or return" basis. When you pull it apart you may find one seal kit is all you need.