Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

cat 236 reverse problem

hedgee76 ยท 2014-02-06 21:25

I have a cat 236 with a reverse problem. I recently replaced the plastic drive coupling on my cat. I had to pull both engine and hydrostat unit draining all the hydraulic fluid ,put everything back together correctly refilled hydraulic unit and ran it for about a half hour. Now here is the problem i'm sure I have all the air out of the system but now when I pull the lever back for reverse their is about a 3 second delay till reverse happens. This did not happen before i stripped the plastic drive coupling/hub . Every now and again when driving forward i would have to pull the lever to the right to keep it true so maybe i have the left drive motor going bad ,but i dont know if this have anything to do with the pause in reverse I ran through all the functions of the machine and that is the only problem. machine is 2003 and has about 2500 hours any help is appreciated , plus are the drive motors worth rebuilding or replace with new and both at the same time or one at a time Thanks

Replies4
  1. #1Mobiltech2014-02-06 23:36

    You could have air in the pilot control. There is a way to get it out but Id have to look it up. Its probably something in the pilot part of the circuit. You can change that drive coupler by just pulling the pumps away from the engine. You really only need a couple of hoses off. You need about 3-4 inches of separation to change it and the pump gear.

  2. #2hedgee762014-02-07 20:53

    thanks for the info I will have to look into the air in the pilot control

  3. #3zacharymichael852024-12-30 07:59

    Is this true that you can change the coupler without pulling the entire engine? Im worried I might have stripped that coupler.... I cant start it because I have no parking indicator or lap bar indicator or i would be able to see if my Hy. fan is working.

  4. #4Mobiltech2024-12-30 08:34

    Yes you can. I have done a few like that. You can pull the pump back just enough to do it. Leave the two big mounting bolts in the pump to flange mount and just remove the ring of flange bolts.